Hardware questions from a complete Noob

edited December 2014 in Equipment

Hello all! I have been lurking on this site for a while trying to do research to come up with a decent "beginner" setup for using Loopy HD in my home. I have been using a Boss RC-30 for a while and for the most part it satisfies my needs. I discovered Loopy a while back and am fascinated by the possibilities is holds. I am not a "gigging" musician but I have been experimenting with looping for the better part of two years now and frankly it has made me a better guitar/bass player. Unfortunately the RC-30 does not allow me the ability to do all the things I want to do in my little basement musical world. I am hoping someone can help me figure out how to get setup to move to the next level.

So, here it is. I am essentially running what amounts to 3 signal chains (clean guitar, dirty guitar, bass). I have my guitar pedal board setup to run my guitar into two different amps in an ABY configuration. The RC-30 handles this beautifully. I would like to also be able to record in a third "channel" for bass. But I would also like those "loops" to pass through to my amps. Basically I am looking for a setup that would be a three channel (input) RC-30. I am running Loopy on a first generation iPad Air and I would like to be able to control Loopy from a foot pedal like the Behringer FCB1010.

What would be the best, most cost effective way to set this up? I really don't want to have to go the mixer/PA route if I can help it. I have plenty of mics and even have Studio One on my computer and a Firestudio interface, but no proper PA equipment. Like I said, I would really just like to create what is essentially a 3-in/3-out RC-30 type of system.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Comments

• edited December 2014

You just need a three input interface that works with the ipad. Any class-compliant USB interface will likely do. They generally go in multiples of two inputs so you'll have a bonus one. Beyond that, you'll also need an Apple Camera Connection Kit, and possibly a powered USB hub. If you want to use a foot pedal, make sure your interface also has MIDI i/o on board.

IO use a Roland Duo Capture, iPad 2, and FCB1010 for mostly the same usage, however loopy dopesn't work for me.

• @njstoehr - if you don't want to go the mixer route, you would either have to plug and unplug each signal source to a single channel ios compatible audio interface or an ios compatible audio interface with the number of inputs you need/want. Be sure to consider if any of your sources are stereo (loopy can handle 1 channel as mono and 2channels as stereo). As far as I've seen, most of the docking type interfaces are only 2 channel (2 mono/1 stereo). So, you would probably want to get a USB type audio interface (3in/3out?). Added to that, you need a Midi interface (5pin midi - FCB1010, others may be USB midi) for midi foot controller. Some interfaces support both. And you will need a CCK to connect the USB interface to the iPad.

Using just loopy, you will have to go into the channel selection when you want to change which instrament you are recording. You may want to check out AudioBus ( + Multi-routing IAP) to be able to route the multiple inputs.

• Thanks a lot! I will give Audiobus a look.

Would I be correct in assuming that I would simply connect the "line out" on the audio interface to my amps? Does the "line out" out for each channel simply act as a pass through for that given channel? And if I am using Audiobus, does that allow me to keep each channel separate, that is to say, each input can have a dedicated separate output on the audio interface?

• @njstoehr - unfortunately I have no experience with audio interfaces with more than stereo output. Hopefully someone with experience will chime in, although you may post the multichannel output question on the AudioBus Forum. loopy has no multichannel function by itself, only stereo.

• edited December 2014

@njstoehr the perfect interface for you would be a Presonus 44VSL. Pity you're not in Australia as I have one for sale.

• @muzza - The 44VSL does look like a good fit. Unfortunately I think your right, shipping form Australia may be prohibitively expensive. Oh well, reckon I need to hit Reverb.com!

Cheers!

• edited December 2014

You can buy them new in the US for cheaper than what we pay for a second hand one down here!

They come with a copy of Studio One - which you're already familiar with.

• Alright, got all the gear: Presonus 44VSL, Behringer FCB1010, iPad Air. Have it all hooked up and it works...sort of. With the 22VSL I was able to "seperate" the two inputs and outputs. In other words, I was able to have Input #1 only come out of the Right Channel and Input #2 out of the Left (or vice versa, I don't recall exactly but you get my drift). With the 44VSL, I can't seem to isolate the inputs and outputs. The inputs pass through to all outputs.

Can anyone help me out? I'm sure I am missing something simple but I can't seem to figure out what it is.

Thanks,

• joshuajonah I need your help!!! Your set up is the exact same set up I am trying to get together! I have and Ipad 2, the FCB, and I was getting very close to buying the Roland Duo Capture EX. You say it doesn't work for you, can you be more specific? Do you have the Duo Capture or the Duo Capture EX? I've been trying to save up for this whole set up for a long time and I would hate to make the wrong decision with my last piece of equipment! I like the idea of the DUO EX because of the battery power, and that it has the specific switch for Tablet on the back, but if you are running all of this and are having no luck with Loopy I might need to rethink. I haven't come across anyone else on this forum who is running this exact same set up!!!

• I have a related question I'm hoping someone can help with. My setup: guitar > effects pedal > scarlett 18i8 usb audio device > cck > iPhone 6. After recording a song, I only hear playback in the right speaker. From what I've read elsewhere, is the only way to resolve this (stereo, mono, panning) issue to add a mixer into my recording setup? Or is there something in the track selection panel (pic attached - couldn't find anything in the Loopy help on how to use) that can address my issue? Thanks in advance!

• You can resolve this by running Loopy within Audiobus. In Audiobus you can select just one input, which will then be panned center on Loopy tracks.

• edited February 2015

@Hmtx thanks for your help. If I may, follow-up questions:. If I run Loopy within Audiobus, when I plug additional inputs (e.g. keyboard, mic, bass) into my scarlett usb audio device, will they also all be panned center? Just to make sure, panning center will equally distribute the sound between right and left speakers, right?

• Good question! I have the Focusrite 2i2, so I am only ever working with two channels. I don't know for certain how Audiobus handles more than two channels.

That said, I believe that the audiobus input slot will give you a blue 'i' next to the "system audio input" when your 18i8 is connected. When you tap on the blue 'i' you will likely be given a whole list of input options, channels 1 - 12 listed individually, then listed in pairs, "1+2", "3+4", etc.

So if your guitar is on channel 1, then select "channel 1". Do the same with all of your mono sources, mics, bass).

If your keyboard is a stereo signal, in channels 5 and 6, then also add the "5+6" input so that it pans those to left and right.

• Thanks for the confirmation! This whole "mono/stereo" signal thing threw me for a (pardon the pun) loop. If you don't mind me asking, what's your setup? After I get Audiobus, I'm planning to add the Behringer FCB1010 MIDI Foot Controller to complete my setup.

• Here's an update on my 'not recording in stereo' issue (above) in hopes of helping anyone who happens to come across this thread in future. After plugging in my Focusrite 18i8 I resolved my issue by tinkering with Loopy's channel selector. I want to keep my setup simple and avoid extra kit/apps when possible, so re-reading advice from @Ganthofer helped me focus in on the channel selector instead of adding in a mixer or Audiobus. I'm still not 100% certain how the channel selector works, but for now I'm back in stereo and that's good enough for me!