Loopy HD vs RC-300

Comments

• edited December 2012

@ChuckB Thanks for the info on you kit. Always interesting to see/read what people are using.

F.Y.I. The Pros were for the iStudio. I think the way I wrote it, it may look like they were in favor of the iO Dock.

• Auxili, please, let us know how the loopy (+midi footswitch etc.) works in live performance situation!

Righ now I'm considering seriously about buying a midi footswitch and alesis dock instead of rc-300. I'm a little bit worried about the sound quality of inputs&outputs and reliability of this software in completely looping-based performance situation.

So far, sounds and looks too good to be true - thanks, Michael.

Do You have plans for adding more apps in Your Audiobus project? There are a lot of fantastic apps out there :)

• Bumping this for relevance. I am in the middle of the same debate. Have an Ipad w/loopy, just sold an IO Dock (still waiting for the IO Mix which supposedly comes out soon) and thinking about the RC 300 for live performance.

Picked up the VoiceLive 2 and interested in knowing how you incorporate that. I would love to be able to run more through the ipad, use Auria as my live mixer. I had hoped that the Mackie 1608 ipad mixer would integrate with Auria, but alas it doesn't.

Supposedly this year there are a slew of new devices incorporating Ipads which are set to hit the market. Let's hope it's true...

• Looks like the io mix doesn't have MIDI...

• Don't forget to check out iConnectMIDI products, which are spendy but work fantastically.

• I know this guys' music is made with an RC-300, I've seen him record before. http://conda.bandcamp.com

So I wouldn't say it's as limiting as some are saying. Loopy has its own limits too. It's all about what you can make it do musically

• I know you can control midi devices with the loop station (and even slave the rc- 300s tempo to an outside source). How does this fit into this discussion?

• Actually an RC-300 can only be a time master, it will only slave to other RC-300s.

Loopy doesn't have the build in effects - but I never would use them so thats not a big deal to me and I think if you want effects you can route your audio from Loopy through AudioBus.

I know that for me, I like having the greater # of loops in Loopy.
    I miss the ability to assign outputs to, say, the click, but the variable functionality of an ipad+MIDI/Audio Interface+FootController I find more useful.
    If you already have an ipad [I did], the rest of the gear comes to around $300 so in a way it was cheaper to go the loopy route.

• Thanks for answering.
    According to this link you can slave the rc-300 to almost any device.

http://www.vguitarforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=7678.0

But who slaves who wasn't really my concern. More that I own both a RC-300 and an iPad with Loopy and are looking for ways to combine them on stage. I am a yoga musician playing yoga classes and celebrative yoga events as a one man band.

I will not pretend to be very technical. Rather I am in awe of the technical revolution that has made things available to me, for almost nothing, stuff that in my youth would have cost millions of dollars.

Being able to have the same clock on both the loop station and the iPad sounds interesting, although I am not sure what I would use it for ;(

Any Ideas anyone?

PS There may be another problem with the RC-300. Seems that the clock signal is erratic and maybe too unstable to use.

• I just received a new RC-300 and the mic input seems pretty hissy and noisy with or without a mic plugged in.

Can any one confirm that the mic input on the RC-300 is pretty hissy starting about 11:00 with some strange little noises in the background.

Thanks in advance

• He released his first album - check it out if you want to see what sort of thing the rc-300 can do, or what electronic looping music can sound like: http://conda.bandcamp.com/album/dots-and-dashes

• @ xisten: I've had an RC-300 for a year and use it every day professionally in a University. I rarely use the mic input but have found that the preamp for the mic input is optimized for a dynamic mic. I use a Sennheiser 602 Kick mic and have great results. If you want to use a studio mic just make sure you have a dB gain control.

Be advised as to the FCB1010 controller that Marc uses on the Loopy site is NOT plug and play. There are many reviews for the device that say it is the cheapest of it's kind but it is the most confusing to use (program). There are move expensive "stomp-box" type controllers that are p&p. The cost of the setup that Marc has is likely the cost of one RC-300 including mixer, stompbox, adapters, controller. The on-board effecs of the RC-300 are pretty good quality with the exception of the bass 8va pitch shift (fatal but fun). This is definitely a stand-alone device or something to a insert into. It has excellent connectivity and use-ablility though some concerted research, reading, and playing are necessary to get you savvy to the possibilities.
    I have a couple bones to pick with Roland about it such as a possible AES or S/PDIF for out-board added effects loop. Other than that I will be using this device endlessly as there are so many possible configurations. I use one track rhythm (percussion), one track guitar (multilayered and and be preset to set amounts of measures for phrasing), and I have yet to really push the limits of the third track. I play with others and we use my device as the master for a Pigtronics looper. The RC-300 simply responds to MIDI clock so it can be used as a slave as well if using Ableton or some other DAW.

• I have an RC50 I use daily. I do use loopy when I play out at Open mics etc and really like it - I am tempted to buy one of the bluetooth pedals for simplicity. I did buy - and return - an RC300. One show stopper for me was that you cannot stop or start the guide tracks without getting down and pressing the button - can't be assigned to a footswitch - internal or external. Also the 300 lost the fade in functionality - how on earth do I bring in a keyboard fill? Add to that it's inability to use a mono wave file from an RC50 - you have to import the loop into your DAW and resave it as stereo. Also the Master Start Stop does not follow the settings on the individual phrases - it is more of a panic button - waste of a footswitch. The one thing I really would like to see is a mode where a can toggle form one loop to another at loop end with one button click. That an dper session patch settings and I would be ecstatic.

Cheers

Grif

• @Grif: The RC300 has "Single Track Play" mode where you can toggle from one loop to another as you've said. It is a phrase memory setting. Also, the 300's expression pedal can be assigned as a volume pedal (again, as a phrase memory setting). With it assigned this way you can quiet not only your loops but also the rhythm/guide track. Having said that, I fully agree that the 300's rhythm/guide track needs much more in the way of foot controls to really be as useful as it could be live.

• I think the best comparison for an RC 300 might be a Boomerang. While I presently own an RC-300, I think the boomerang looks a bit more intuitive and from what I've gathered it is a little better for live performance as a result. http://www.boomerangmusic.com/E156.shtml

Has anyone tried one?

• I use a Boomerang III as my live-performance looper. It is very intuitive, very responsive, and has pristine audio. Plus you get two independent mono channels of audio (or use as stereo in/out). Probably the best feature is flexibility; you can assign different functions to "Bonus" buttons to customize it for your preferred setup. Read the manual on their website, and you will see what I mean.

Some folks complain that it won't hold loops in memory after powering down like a Boss pedal, but that's not a feature I want or need, and isn't necessary for true live-performance looping.

• Hello, i just bought the Boss rc 300.I have a problem when i bind the boss rc 300to my macbook pro and use it with garagband. Everytime i try to record a piano sample from garageband on my boss rc 300, and when the note of the samples changes than it still records the sample but it starts playing the first note automatically.I would like to record the entire piano sample.Instead it starts overdubbing.Did anyone have this problem?

Thank you

• Note the just announced Boss 505! ( which actually seems to be aimed at the DJ / voice looping market more than the guitar market, as it is a tabletop unit rather than a stomp box ) In general, hardware "does what it does" very solidly, but is usually not updated much, even when the "firmware" now has the capability to do so. Meanwhile, iOS software is constantly updating, in some cases adding very valuable new features. Loopy ( and Audiobus, and connectable apps ) are growing exponentially now, so consider an iPad an "investment in the future" as well as the present! There's my 2c as an "App Reviewer".

• edited April 2013

Hi there, I've been into live looping for about 3 years now,
    We are a world fusion instrumental duo. I have a Drummer/percussionist playing along with my loops while im leading over them! Im using the Boss-RC300 and loving it!

Check out our videos of all the live looping methods I use and the crazy live shows it creates!

https://www.youtube.com/user/S1ay3R007

http://youtu.be/C2wSLQ8F7Lg

http://www.wildlettucemusic.com

• I have both the RC-50 and the RC-300 (yeah, I'm crazy about looping) and I'm tryng to use both at the same time to: #1. have more phazes to record on and #2. to have a live looped rythm (cajon and other hand percussion) that I can "float" independantly during single play mode for songs with verse, chorus, bridge, etc.. In other words, I can beat in the percussion on the RC-50, have the output go into the 300, and then use the 300 throughout the song as I switch from intro to verse to chorus. This I can do, but the timing always gets off. Question: Can I get the tempo to sync on both (all tracks)? I've been reading about "master and slave" and am beyond confused. I've heard 2 RC-300 can sync via midi, can an RC-50 and RC-300 sync? Any help would be appreciated.

• Now there's the boss rc505
    and the TC-Helicon's VoiceLive Touch 2

• Something else to consider is the simplicity of the setup. With looping there can be a lot to connect anyway. I've used the RC-50 and now the RC-300. It's hard to beat the features for live looping performance. I'd rather use my tablet for lyrics, sheet music and other things.

As far as the bit rate, I can't believe anyone is going to be able to hear the difference between 16 and 24 bit in a live performance application. This is a non-factor.

• By the way, Loopy is great! I use it to work on song ideas.

• I'm a on the move looper user so I like the battery set ups. I've tired looping with rc 2 and found it very limiting. I don't know about rc 300 but loopy and blueboard are a great combo. I favour this set up over any hardware because of flexibility. I like looping, yes, but I also like a good amp emulation, guitar fx and other fx units such as turnado. The ipad set up has got the advantage of being able to run all of this in one environment and set to the same tempo which means all delays, lfo's etc. are in time with the main loop. Yes, loopy may be a little soft for the stage use but when used with foot controllers there really isn't much difference. Bluetooth bindings are so flexible that there's just no comparison for me. Loopy all the way.

• I've been using an RC-50 for years now , and I've officially made the jump to Loopy. The advantages of integrating an iOS device into my performance beats any advantages the 300 may have. Which doesn't seem like much, IMO. I control Loopy with an FCB1010 and a Nanokontrol, which gives me more functional control than I would ever have with the RC-300. Not to mention the fact that I can customize each and every MIDI binding. Assuming that stability isn't going to be a factor on the iPad, its really a no brainer. Loopy is a winner.

• how can i stop and start the rhythm inside the loop station with a external control pedal

• I'm new to Loopy (thanks!), and fairly new to looping, though so far I'm happy with how the RC-300 functions.

I am probably missing something in the Loopy doc, but I can't find how to record a track of indeterminate length (AUTO) that is synced to the tempo of another track.

When creating music live, I like to create a 2-bar backing loop and then record a long improv loop that sets the length of the other loops I record - which are all synced to the tempo of track 1, and whose lengths are a multiple of 2 bars. In RC-300 parlance, loop sync is enabled on all tracks, but only track 1 has a predetermined length of 2. The rest are AUTO.

Examples:

http://youtu.be/XpC7IcJDFOs (@ 15 mins. is RC-300 setup)
    http://youtu.be/qmcavyW02H0

How do I setup Loopy to enable this style of operation?

@csimmons said:
    Independent Loop lengths per looper: although Loopy allows for this when the loops aren't synced or manually in loop sync mode, the RC 300 and Ableton Live handles this automatically, which is great for purely improvised loop sessions. The 300 also has a LOOP START SYNC function, where all loop track will start in sync, regardless of tempo or time signature. (that would be a great idea for Loopy, by the way.)

I absolutely LOVE Loopy; [...] But comparing the RC 300 to Loopy is really like comparing apples to oranges, as long as Loopy is missing some key features.

• @mojozart said:
    I'm new to Loopy (thanks!), and fairly new to looping, though so far I'm happy with how the RC-300 functions.

I am probably missing something in the Loopy doc, but I can't find how to record a track of indeterminate length (AUTO) that is synced to the tempo of another track.

When creating music live, I like to create a 2-bar backing loop and then record a long improv loop that sets the length of the other loops I record - which are all synced to the tempo of track 1, and whose lengths are a multiple of 2 bars. In RC-300 parlance, loop sync is enabled on all tracks, but only track 1 has a predetermined length of 2. The rest are AUTO.

>

sorry to bump this thread - I'm also really interested in knowing if this is possible, as I also like this way of looping on the RC-300 - sometimes you don't know how long you want to loop until you're in the middle of recording

• It is possible (and fairly simple).

Just go into settings > track management > count out recording > disabled

Recording will stop at the next appropriate boundary. What that means is that if you stop it on beat 2, it will continue recording until the start of the next measure.

So essentially, you can record a 1 bar beat, then record a 7 bar loop, then a 2 bar, and they would all sync up.