Loop and Session Retrieval

edited January 2012 in General
Michael,

I was wondering if you were considering any method of backup/retrieval of loops and sessions other than through a direct connection to computer through i-Tunes. I am going to be playing out using Loopy soon and I am super-paranoid that I am going to lose all my pre-made loops/sessions and have no way to get them back without I-tunes. Is integration with Dropbox or something like like that a possibility? It would be nice to know that as long as I have a wi-fi connection I don't have to worry about losing half the gig. If there is already a backup method and I am just being dumb feel free to let me know.

Thanks for your time and all the musical fun.

Comments

• Hey @TheFrapp - that's not a bad idea! I'll be making sure Loopy works with iCloud shortly, but I think your Dropbox suggestion is a very good one; I'll look into that.
  • Question along the same lines:
    I am trying to create a backup of all of my Loopy sessions on my wife's iPad so we can bring it as a backup just in case (since as I said before I am super paranoid and now Loopy is pretty much the central player in our gig). I highlighted everything in the I-Tunes file transfer list, the did "save to" and made a folder on the desktop called "Loopy Backup". When I go plug hers in and go to "add", it will only let me add .wav and .aiff files. The sessions are stored on the mac as a folder with an xml file in it and then a sub folder with .caf files in it instead of .loopysession files. I can't select whole folders to add, only individual files. If I import the xml file and the caf files will they automatically become sessions? Is that what the xml file does? Do I just need to suck it up and import them all and rebuild the sessions on her machine? I don't mind doing more work, I just don't want to do it if I am missing the easy plan.

Thanks
  • Actually, although it's not documented, you just need to zip up the whole lot and pop the zip file in - Loopy will recognise it and automatically extract everything.
  • Awesome!
    Now all I have to worry about is playing things well.
  • Another way to do backups of your stuff is jailbreak your device (i.e. your IPad) and install the App "SBSettings" through the Cydia-Installer (its like iTunes for jailbreaked devices) that comes with the jailbreak.
    After that you can easily establish a SSH-Connection from your computer to your ipad/iphone by using a free Software like http://winscp.net
    Two clicks and you are inside your ipad on file-level and can easily copy files (lets say drumloops) from and to your ipad/iphone, backup your files etc.
    I had problems with synching loopy-files over iTunes so i prefer to use this method.
  • I would love to, but unfortunately "My" ipad is owned by the high school I work for and I bet they wouldn't take too kindly to that. Thanks though. (Note to Michael- students love Loopy too)
  • If iTunes is giving you grief, make sure it's the latest version - some prior updates have wrecked document sharing, but it's since been fixed. And remember, you can drag anything out of iTunes (including folders), but you must zip it up to put it back into Loopy, because Apple have screwed the pooch a little with folder management. Loopy understands and will automatically extract zip files, though, so just zip the lot up, pop it into Loopy, and it'll do the Right Thing.
  • iCloud please!

• I mean import from iCloud would be so cool!

Ed

• Not Dropbox, Ed? I was under the impression that it's a bit more popular for this kind of thing.

• Just me pushing my luck Michael! I travel a lot and this is no way a loopy issue! iOs devices although excellent really suck with data portability! It's supposed to be a mobile device but sometimes you find it needs to see your master iTunes device (in my case A PC which is currently 3000 miles away!) I have some loops that are on iCloud I would love to import! See my dilemma mate lol!

I love loopy! No problems here :)

Ed

• It's just iCloud seems integrated into my iPad as part of the system, Dropbox is a 3rd party service! Am I right? Or do I actually have to read my ipad user manual? I hate those things lol!

Ed

• Cheers Ed =)

Actually, it occurs to me that iCloud support is probably going to be very easy - I've just not looked into it yet.

Dropbox will be harder, but I think that generally speaking, Dropbox is more popular for this kind of usage because it's folder/file-centric, rather than app-centric - for example, you have to navigate to ~/Library/Mobile Documents to access data on iCloud, which is really hard for less advanced users. With Dropbox, you can just find it all in the Dropbox folder, easy to get to.

iCloud is better for syncing between different copies of the same app, of course - so, Loopy on two different iPads can have their sessions/recordings all kept in sync easily with iCloud. Once I get round to making a Mac version of Loopy, the same goes there.

• Tx mate! As I said it not really a loopy issue! Apples file system confuses a PC user of 20 years lol!

Ed

• Hi
    I tried to use the zip trick decribed above. Copyed all the flies from my iPad (first gen.), ziped them and droped them onto my iPhone (5) Loopy. When I open Loopy on the iPhone and go to Sessions Loopy say "extracting files" (or something) an then - nothing - I dont see any sessions. When I reconnect the iPhone to iTunes the zip file is gone. Any suggestions? BTW dropbox connectivity would be greeeeat!

• Any word on iCloud sync? I am looking for a way to move sessions from my iPad to my iPhone without a computer. Would be nice to have the option of auto sync across devices. Unfortunately, I don't have access to file sharing/management via iTunes.

• I've not gotten to it yet, I'm afraid @jgsiv, but it remains on my list. Alas I'm flat out right now with the iOS 8 transition, which is a doozy.

• Hey there,
    I just got the new iPhone 6, and I'm trying to move my old Loopy sessions from a backup of my old iPhone 4. I tried using "iBackup Viewer" to pull the files out of the backup, and it worked in the sense that I was able to zip the files up and "Add" them as suggested above. However, once I put the .zip file onto my phone and Loopy extracted it, a lot of the files from sessions were missing and when I tried to open many of the sessions, Loopy crashed...

Thankfully, I think I have my old Loopy files safe in the old iPhone backup, but is there ever a way I can use them again?

And did this happen (the crash) because I was using a bad backup extractor? Or does it have to do with .xml vs. .aiff files? Has anybody else tried to do this, and if so, how is it done?

Thanks for the help!

• Ouch - sorry to hear that @moononfire! If you actually open the zip file yourself, does it still have stuff missing? Just want to check that the zip library within Loopy is working right.
    As a fallback, you could use iExplorer (which I know works) to extract the sessions from the backup, zip it yourself, and use that zip file.

• edited February 2016

Lots of people are wondering how to recover their deleted data from iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in a simple and secure way[...]can deal with the problem and it supports to recover deleted/lost photos, videos, contacts, messages, call history, notes, WhatsApp, and more. Also, the program provides two different modes to recover deleted data on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch: "Recover from iOS Devices" and "Recover from iTunes Backup File"

• edited February 2016

@Danielroy said:
    Lots of people are wondering how to [recover their deleted data from iPhone]..."recover their deleted data from iPhone"), iPad or iPod touch in a simple and secure way. Backup iphone contacts can deal with the problem and it supports to recover deleted/lost photos, videos, contacts, messages, call history, notes, WhatsApp, and more. Also, the program provides two different modes to recover deleted data on iPhone/iPad/iPod touch: "Recover from iOS Devices" and "Recover from iTunes Backup File"

I don't know what's your mean.

• @Michael said:
    I've not gotten to it yet, I'm afraid @jgsiv, but it remains on my list. Alas I'm flat out right now with the iOS 8 transition, which is a doozy.

I know this is quite an old thread, just wanted to know if there had been any developments in this field?

• Great stuff, and very promising, thanks!!

• @moononfire said:
    Hey there,
    I just got the new iPhone 6, and I'm trying to move my old Loopy sessions from a backup of my old iPhone 4. I tried using "iBackup Viewer" to pull the files out of the backup, and it worked in the sense that I was able to zip the files up and "Add" them as suggested above. However, once I put the .zip file onto my phone and Loopy extracted it, a lot of the files from sessions were missing and when I tried to open many of the sessions, Loopy crashed...

Thankfully, I think I have my old Loopy files safe in the old iPhone backup, but is there ever a way I can use them again?

And did this happen (the crash) because I was using a bad iPhone backup extractor? Or does it have to do with .xml vs. .aiff files? Has anybody else tried to do this, and if so, how is it done?

Thanks for the help!

you can restore from your itunes

• MIchael, I tried moving my loopy sessions from an ipad air to an iphone 7 and couldn't get it to work. I extracted the session folders using iTunes and saved them to a file on my PC desktop. Then I zipped up the Media folder and Session Data file Then, using iTunes again, I added the zip files to the Loopy documents on my iphone.

When I opened Loopy, I navigated to Sessions. a notice came up saying, extracting zip files and it spun for a while. when it stopped spinning, there were no new sessions.

am I doing something wrong here? is there a different forum thread with more detailed instructions?

Thanks in advance....

• Never mind. I zipped up each session individually which confused the system I guess. I zipped all of the session files up together and it extracted correctly in loopy.