Setup possible?: Guitar, FCB1010, MIDIkeyboard, Irig MIDI, iPod 5

TomTom
edited February 2013 in Equipment

Hi,
Would it be possible to link a FCB1010 into a small MIDI keyboard, and then into the iRig MIDI into my iPod 5?
I figure, if the keyboard would have a midi in, the signal could be send through.

Also, does anyone know of an alternative to the iRig MIDI? It seems a little overpriced for just a connector.

Comments

• probably easier to find a midi merger box than a mini keyboard with a thru port but I havn't ever really looked!

I think the iRig is pretty competitively priced. There's also the Line 6 Midi Mobilizer II.

• I found out that the FCB1010 has a midi merge function build in. So i would be keyboard -> fcb -> iRig.
    I read one complaint, the iRig uses mini jacks, so only 3 pins, in stead of the normal 5 pin midi cable. So, the midi signal from the keyboard would go to the FCB, but will not be able to go to the iRig because of the connection.
    Does anyone has experience with this? Will this work?
    And, if it won't work, does anyone know a solution?

• try a 2 in 1 mini jack adaptor. I have tascam iu2 and use that for it's midi in (3.5mm 2 in 1 jack adaptor) fcb and my keyboard plugged into the adaptor working with full functionality. Never tried this with irig but the adaptor is only around £2 or so...

• I use the M-Audio UNO for my midi control. I plug that into a USB hub along with my midi Keys. I use both to control Loopy and it works amazing. I've attached my current setup:

• For anyone planning a complex rig that needs to combine USB MIDI with 5-pin DIN MIDI devices, as well as act as a MIDI merger, AND needs to connect an iPad or iPhone, check out the iConnectMIDI devices by iConnectivity. The original model (which I currently use) is only available used sometimes on eBay, but they make two new models. Yep, they are pricey, but if your rig is becoming more complex it may replace multiple devices.

• Fwiw, midi only ever uses 3 wires. 5 din jack is superfluous. People roll their own midi cables with mic cables which only use three wires. Well, two plus shield.

• @BrokenRecord, very nice setup, but the iRig MIDI does not have usb like your CCK. I use an iPod5. @Sounddog, beautiful, but indeed not very cheap. @Syrupcore, this does make sense. Why would the FCB have a full merger inside, but still keep the signal seperated... @TonyFranco, i am suprised to hear this. The FCB has a special merger, iConnectify machines have special mergers. They are expensive too. And really, does a 2 into 1 jack just work? Is MIDI merged so easily?

• Hi, I've just started getting MIDI'd up (> 30 years late to the party: )

Previously, I dabbled with my iPhone via some free apps + wireless midi over LAN. Now I have a MIDI keyboard, but would like to use control surfaces (I think they're called that) on my iphone - MIDI science, if you will.

I've been reading up on the options for wired 'iOS integration' - specfically MIDI OUT from iPhone (on iOS7.0.6 at present).

There a few iRigs - bit pricey for me, I've seen a Roland kit but I've read that the earlier (at least) won't do MIDI OUT on iPhone (only iPad).

I've ordered a CameraConnectionKit, but now don't expect that alone to work with my MIDI USB cable...

Do I have (m)any options??

Thanks

• edited April 2015

@Tom said:
    BrokenRecord, very nice setup, but the iRig MIDI does not have usb like your CCK. I use an iPod5. Sounddog, beautiful, but indeed not very cheap. Syrupcore, this does make sense. Why would the FCB have a full merger inside, but still keep the signal seperated... TonyFranco, i am suprised to hear this. The FCB has a special merger, iConnectify machines have special mergers. They are expensive too. And really, does a 2 into 1 jack just work? Is MIDI merged so easily?

Hey Tom!

This was a while back, did you ever find any answers? Can we churn that MIDI butter and get it as easy to spread as audio?

I'm hunting for the cheapest solutions (for iphone 5s MIDI out via usb), found one £0.77 per piece - http://goo.gl/m06smA - but there's 200 of em... maybe we need a MIDI cooperative?!