Hi! If your question relates to Loopy Pro, you may find a faster answer at one of the other Loopy Pro communities (https://loopypro.com/communities) – this forum has only a small number of active users.

I want to use my iPhone 5 live with a Mic - PLEASE HELP

edited January 2013 in Equipment

I'm trying to use Loopy live with just a mic input. Does anyone know what gear I need to make this happen?

Comments

• While I haven't actually done the set-up yet, the thinking for me goes: use at least an iRig or similar interface to your iPhone/iPad. Plug the instrument/mic into that and then from the headphone out of the iRig run a lead into the mixing desk. It would be good to split the signal from the instrument/mic before the iRig via a small mixer and also run a clean signal to the main amp/mixer in a separate channel. I have a Cicada bluetooth pedal so can operate loops hands free.

With these 3.5mm plugs and small dia leads in the audio chain it is important to keep runs short, especially in larger systems. I will check it all out soon and report back. It does concern me that my 'sound' will be in the hands of an iOS device, hence the split at the beginning of the chain. It may be all fine though with a bit of experimenting. Hope this helps.

• Just a note - beware the iRig and other analog audio inputs when used with Loopy: Their design generally results in some crosstalk, meaning you'll hear the output in the input somewhat.

There're one or two devices that reduce this effect, but if you can afford it, a digital device (like the Apogee Jam, for instance) is better as it eliminates this entirely.

• Wouldn't Apogee MIC work? direct connect to iPhone?

http://www.apogeedigital.com/products/mic.php

• Yeah, I'm new to Loopy HD too and have a mic lead that ends USB then a USB converter so the mic can go straight in to my iPad.trouble is this automatically mutes everything. What is the best way to get a decent external mic into Loopy HD and still hear what you are doing. I'm sure this is obvious but I'm no techie :-)

• Just so you know I'm not ignoring you: I actually have no idea about how do to this and still have a working audio-out, right now, aside from using an audio interface with both in and out. Waiting to see if others have any ideas =)

I am aware that iOS 6 has new sophisticated audio routing controls that let you specify where audio goes. That might come in handy, but I haven't explored it yet, and it's only available to developers (it's an API, so no user control unless the developer integrates support for it and gives you a UI).