Disabling the iPad mic without losing sound?

Hi, everyone -

I am using a little barrel shaped iRig into an iPad 2 with the latest iOS. Keyboard and acoustic guitar running into a Soundcraft Notepad 4 channel mixer into the iRig into the iPad, with the headphone out of the iRig into a Fishman Loudbox.

Running the metronome, the sound is going back into the iPad's internal mic causing problems. If I turn off 'Monitoring' I can't hear anything coming through until the loop starts, so no playing unless the loop is recording.

Any way to disable the internal iPad mic while still having the looper play through the iRig?

Thanks!

Comments

• If you're using an iRig, @Feast, it's very unlikely you're hearing the mic, because that gets disabled when you plug it in. What you are hearing is crosstalk within the iRig itself, because it's a fairly mediocre-quality analog device: the output signal induces a signal in the input line. There's nothing I know of that can remedy that in software. You'll want to get yourself a decent digital input device that plugs into the Lightning port (even a cheap one will be better than the iRig).

• @Michael said:
    If you're using an iRig, @Feast, it's very unlikely you're hearing the mic, because that gets disabled when you plug it in. What you are hearing is crosstalk within the iRig itself, because it's a fairly mediocre-quality analog device: the output signal induces a signal in the input line. There's nothing I know of that can remedy that in software. You'll want to get yourself a decent digital input device that plugs into the Lightning port (even a cheap one will be better than the iRig).

Thanks for the response! Yes, the iRig was something like 10 bucks when I bought it several years ago - I'll get something better for sure - because this looper is really great.

Something that plugs into the lightening port - do you have any recommendations that would work there and still give me an output to go into my Fishman?

Thanks for the response!

• No worries! And thanks =)

Hmm, I don't have any personal recommendations - there's a staggering range of stuff out there, and I've not much experience with it myself. I'd probably recommend getting a standard class-compliant USB audio interface rather than one made specifically for iOS with a Lightning cable, then you can use it with a desktop computer too, and if you get an iOS device without a Lightning adapter (like the new iPad Pro), you don't need to buy a new audio interface. You'd plug it into the iPad's Lightning port via the USB to Lightning adapter, the newest edition of which also has power, which is important.

• Thank you very much for your responses! Please let me ask just one more question here, then I’ll let you be!

I already have a Scarlett 2i2 from Focusrite. Could I use loopy live in this way:

Acoustic guitar, vocal mic, and keyboard into Soundcraft Notepad mixer. Mixer out into Scarlett 2i2. 2i2 out through USB into Apple camera kit (charging the iPad while running) Camera kit out through lightening port into iPad running Loopy HD. Apple 1/8” cable from headphone out to Fishman Loudbox (using 1/8” to 1/4” adapter).

Would this work, do you know?

You have my thanks!