Finding a way to use a Seaboard in Loopy without being limited to what sounds can be used

Hi all, I’m trying to solve a logistics problem. I’m trying to put vocals and midi keyboard signals into Loopy through audiobus etc. The keyboard I am using is the Seaboard Block, which is an amazing tool but has one big limitation. Not all of the sounds available in its soundbank app can be played freely in other apps, there are some restrictions. The sounds which can’t be shared with other apps are the extremely lovely ‘SWAM’ audio modeled woodwind and string sounds, which are the ones I love most. So this means that if I want to use these in Loopy, I need to think outside the box. But I’m very new to this kind of thing, I have DJed before, I have played live music in bands, but am totally unfamiliar with the world of making music on iOS. The only solution I can see, from my newbie vantage point, is to have a set up like this:

Play the seaboard in its native app (called Noise, which allows unlimited access to all sound patches), connected to an iOS device. This would maybe mean buying a second iOS device just for this purpose, but would be a price worth paying for these sounds. This is basically treating it like a hardware synth instead of a midi device. Route this sound from this iOS device into an iOS audio interface. I would also need to route my voice, separately, through a dynamic mic or condenser mic depending on the situation, or even just through a headphone mic if playing around at home, and maybe even a third line, a guitar perhaps, into separate channels. Then this audio interface connects to my ipad, into the lightning port, presumably through the camera converter kit? And then I would need a USB hub to power this or not? Then in the ipad i can route these signals into Loopy separately, through things like AUM, Audiobus etc. Would this work? Or is there a more elegant solution to this problem? And any suggestions for audio interfaces that would be good enough for this without breaking the bank? Big thanks in advance to anyone who takes the time to read this or comment. Basically any solution that would work for someone wanting to put in separate vocals and a keyboard (and maybe a guitar) would work for this.

Comments

• You should be able set up this system without a second iOS device. If you are playing sounds in the Noise app, it can be routed as an input in Audiobus, with Loopy HD as the output, recording from Noise. The Noise app is an audio unit so it can even be loaded with multiple instances in Audiobus.
    If you have sounds produced by the Seaboard itself, just route the audio like a hardware synth into your audio interface into the iPad.
    Vocals and guitar will each also need to be loaded as inputs on their own track / lane in Audiobus, with Loopy HD as the output.

You’ll just need a class-compliant audio interface, the Apple USB camera adapter, and possibly a powered hub depending on how much power your audio interface is trying to draw from the iPad.

• Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately your suggestion wouldn't work. Most of the sounds in Noise app can be played through audiobus, but there are several that can't be. That is because they are not licensed to be used with other apps. What happens is, when you open Noise as an input in audiobus, AUM, or whatever, those particular sounds just aren't there, it is physically impossible to choose them. Also, the seaboard is purely midi, so the only way to make it act like hardware is to connect it to a second ios device, as far as I can see. The Noise app also doesn't work in background audio. Running it through another ios device and routing it through a cable as line in seems the only way to use those particular restricted sounds. Though if anyone has a better idea I'd love to hear it! Thanks again though.

• Oh! Well that is unfortunate. In that case, yep two iOS devices might be the only solution.