Sound issues

I am running loopy hd on iPhone 6s, iOS 12.0.1 with Audiobus and AUFX effects connected to an irigpro duo. Sometimes when I set it up audio does not come into or go out of the loops. Other times I get a scratchy static noise and little or no looo output. This has happened now in setting up for multiple gigs and is very distressing. I have been able to solve the problem sometimes by rebooting iPhone and or/rebooting the apps. Other times I have unplugged irig and plugged back in after launching apps.

Anyone have advice for real solutions to these problems? My fixes are completely inconsistent. I am considering upgrading to an iPad for more pro setup but will I have the same issues?

Thanks!

Comments

• Hi @dafman - I'm sorry to hear that! The first step is to try to pin down the source of the problem. Easiest place to start is to remove the AUFX apps, and see if the issues continue. If not, try removing Audiobus and just use Loopy on its own. If you still have issues after that, try recording using a different app, like GarageBand. If you still have issues, then you've got a problem with the hardware. If at any point along the way, the issue disappears, then it's probably one of those that's the problem.

This can, of course, be way harder if the problem is very intermittent, unfortunately. How often are you seeing this?

• Thanks for responding @Michael
    The problem only started when I started to work with audio bus and the AUFX apps. Trying today I have not been able to recreate the problem in multiple combinations with and without the apps. Will keep trying. All told these issues happen maybe 40% of the time but almost always when I am at a performance😒. Do you find much better performance in an iPad versus the music dedicated iPhone 6s I am running now?

• Crap! That's awful.

It does depend somewhat on the vintage of the device; the 6S is getting older now, but should be fine depending on what you're doing. AB 3 has a CPU meter in the top right corner in landscape mode - if you're pushing above 70-75% that could be an issue; if you try turning up the hardware latency, that might give you a bit of extra headroom.

With that said, I have recently released an Audiobus update that fixes an issue that could result in silent output - it might be worth making sure you're on the latest version there. The scratchy static noise: is that like a buzzing/fast clicking on top of the regular output, or is it really just white noise? (if it's the latter, I would be looking suspiciously at your hardware; if it's the former, it might tie into a sample rate-related issue I'm in the middle of addressing)

• The scratchy noise I realized came on only after I introduced irig powerbridge recently, but it is on top of regular output.

Thanks again @Michael. I love loopy, it has really helped open up new creative places for me and I hope I can solve this issue. FYI I might be using Loopy a bit differently than most of your other users. I practice overtone singing and create slowly changing droning landscapes with loops that are all different lengths and out of phase with each other. Listen to a short sample here. https://neelmurgai.bandcamp.com/track/lumbau

• Very cool! =)

Huh, okay - I'd be interested to hear a sample of the scratchy noise in case it's of the fast clicking variety, rather than the white noise variety.

• edited December 2018

I recorded some ambient clicking I got yesterday which actually is a new sound. I would assume this is caused by the i rig power bridge which is still new for me. But since you asked how can I send it to you?

• @dafman said:
    I recorded some ambient clicking I got yesterday which actually is a new sound. I would assume this is caused by the i rig power bridge which is still new for me. But since you asked how can I send it to you?

Do you have the noise gate/expander enabled?
    That will cause some unexplained clicks.