Can loopy... ? (Pre upgrade questions)

Hi

First post. I am considering switching to loopy from my usual hardware device.

Since I have not yet invested in a midi interface I am unable to test a few things, so I want to know if the following are possible, before I splash out:

1> is there a midi binding that causes a particular loop (not necessarily the selected loop) to finish at the end of its current loop (and do nothing if it is empty)
2> is there a midi binding that queues a particular loop (not necessarily the selected loop) to play from the beginning of its next loop start point. (And does nothing if empty)
3> can a single midi signal trigger more than one binding?

I can't see these things in the list of potential bindings, but they would all be essential to me. If the answer to all these is "yes", then I'm going to go for it :)

The point of these questions is to switch between groups of loops with a single midi signal. Eg. Imagine drums on tracks 1 & 2, verse on 3 & 4, chorus on 5 & 6. Then press a single button to queue the chorus starting and the the verse ending, but keep the drums playing, at the beginning of the next loop. If there is some other way of doing this I would be interested too.

Thanks guys and girls
Matt

Comments

• @narco

1> is there a midi binding that causes a particular loop (not necessarily the selected loop) to finish at the end of its current loop (and do nothing if it is empty)

No. You can set Synchronize tracks and Mute count-in/out ON. Then select Toggle mute binding from the Track Actions and select the loop/track, but if the loop/track is empty, it will start recording.

2> is there a midi binding that queues a particular loop (not necessarily the selected loop) to play from the beginning of its next loop start point. (And does nothing if empty)

No. Again, you can set Synchronize tracks and Mute count-in/out ON. Then select Toggle mute binding from the Track Actions and select the loop/track, but if the loop/track is empty, it will start recording.

3> can a single midi signal trigger more than one binding?

No. You can however, use another midi app (e.g mididesigner) to be triggered by one midi command and send multiple midi commands out, which can then be used to trigger multiple bindings in loopy. (There are other midi apps that can provide the same function. I've only played with MidiDesigner)

.... If there is some other way of doing this ....

There is the big catch, as mentioned above, starting record if Toggle mute is triggered on a blank loop/track. Practice!!! I know no way around this, short of convincing @Michael that another binding or two are needed.

As in your example, you would the use a midi app programmed to send 4 midi commands ( toggle mute track 3, toggle mute track 4, toggle mute track 5, toggle mute track 6) when you send it one. With Synchronize tracks and Mute count-in/out ON, this would Mute the tracks playing and un Mute the tracks that were muted when they reach their Starting/Ending point of each loop/track.

If this is something you think could work for you, let us know and we can get more into the details if needed.

• Thanks for your detailed answer.

That's a little disappointing, although heading in the right direction.

I'm always open to working within a new set of limitations, and loopy removes most of the other ones I'm used to :) so perhaps I'll just use it in a different way to what I have been.

Come to think of it, the TC Voicelive that I currently use also starts recording if I unmute an empty track, although since it only plays three loops, and only two simultaneously, this doesn't cause issues. So loopy would work the same way when switching between single loops, but potentially run into issues when trying to switching between groups of loops.

Interesting.

I'll ponder it. At this stage I'm feeling I might go for it anyway, and hope suitable bindings are added in the future.

Thanks again

Ps. If @Michael reads this, pretty please add the features listed in my opening post. This lends itself to creating performances with different sections (eg verse chorus, or two different songs mashup). :smiley:

• All this will be doable in Loopy Pro, @narco, which I'm working on now - it's going to have much more robust group/scene support.