Recorded tracks playing back at different speed

For the life of me I cannot understand why when I record audio in at the same tempo to different Loopy tracks, save it and load another day do some of the tracks play i credibly slow, and yet others are correct. I check the tempo and it shows as it was when recorded. This seems to be a bug.

Comments

• edited March 2

Anyone please ?

• I’ve never had this issue. Could it be a problem with Ableton link changing tempo?

Or perhaps more likely it’s an issue with selecting the “fit loop to time” option when you are viewing the import list. Try loading the tracks with that on/off and see if one option works better than the other.

• edited March 1

I am not sure what you mean by “fit loop to time” and where to see it. I don’t import tracks to Loopy, I record audio into each looper from the output of apps. It’s odd because everytime I load a Saved loopy project, the tracks don’t always play in sync. Slightly out of time. But other times they do and I don’t change anything.

• @Marb67. I was having a similar if not the exact issue with loops that were getting out of sync after recording.
    I posted that in another thread but I’ll repeat it here.
    I had 12 tracks recorded in time that became out of sync and I couldn’t correct it.
    I loaded Loopy in the output of AB3 with other Link enabled apps in the input and used the AB3 transport start/stop. Everything in sync after that and stayed that way. So far.

• @Marb67 - if the above doesn't help or is not your setup, provide a little more info and we'll see what we can do.

Are you using Loopy by itself, or with AudioBus, AUM, ???

Do you have other Apps running, music related or otherwise?

Network/Bluetooth connected?

What is Clock sync set to in Loopy. (Settings > Clock sync)

What is Synchronize tracks and Play from start set to in Settings > Track management?

Hardware/Software versions ( device type, iOS, Loopy and any other apps you are running)

• I am using with Audiobus 3. No ofher apps running. No blutooth. Midi sync is on. Ableton link enabled. Inta app audio sync active. Clock source link active.enable network on. Syncronise tracks on. Play from start off. Ios 11.2.5 ipad air 2

It is still inconsistent. Sometimes I load a project and it all plays in sync. Other times the tracks are all out and not at tempo recorded. Its a mess and hardly reliable.

• Anyone ?

• @Marb67 - don't have an answer, but one thought, load another source app and enable link, then load the loopy session.

While we're waiting, let me try reviving my tech support days.

So, from what you have written, the same project (loopy session) may work properly or may be messed up (timing wise, wrong tempo, loops out of sync with each other). No other apps loaded. Only AB3 and Loopy. No external devices (e.g. Keyboards, controllers, midi hardware, ...)

As mentioned by @Ben , do you use the AB3 transport star/stop or Loopy?

Are there any projects (loopy sessions) that fail more frequently? If so, best guess at failure ratio?

If you have a high failure rate, try running Loopy only and test if there are any failures.

Haven't used AB3, so I don't know what of Loopy is saved in the save state. Do you load the sessions from with in loopy?

• edited March 9

It’s hard to pin down what is happening as it’s inconsistent. Loopy stand alone seems to play at correct speed. Open in AB3 and fed into Auria (both apps set to same tempo) BUT the Audiobus track in Auri has record in auto standby mode ( still sounds in sync) but as soon as I switch off rec standby ( and reveal the actual channel coming from one of the Loopy tracksiit all goes awry and off beat again. So basicly when I disable record standby in the AB channel it throws it all out. I don’t even want AB in the mixer but it seems to get there automatocly.

Work that one out if you can!

• @Marb67 - that’s a strange one. So how are you revealing actual channel coming from Loopy? Monitoring it in Auria? Or?

• edited March 10

By de-selecting rec standby ( flashing red) and hearing track from loopy. Before that the AB audio coming into standby is all the loopy tracks together. I just give up with Loopy as it’s unusable unless standalone. There is no reason why all tracks that were recoded in the same tempo should be playing at different speeds. I thought Loopy was going to be revamped but it seems to be taking an eternity.

• edited March 14

Now it’s doing it in standalone mode with another project and playing tracks at different speeds. I just can’t get Loopy to stay consistent in Auria Pro. Sometimes it’s all n sync, others it isn’t.

• edited March 14

Nobody else help please ?

• @Marb67. I’ve noticed that with Loopy in the output and Funk Drummer in the input of AB3 that Funk Drummer automatically dictates tempo (which is not the original tempo set in the Loopy session) with Link enabled in both apps.
    Also sometimes but not always I’ll get the prompt asking if I would like to set the tempo to the Loopy session or to the other Link enabled apps. Usually get this when using a preset.
    I always pick the Loopy tempo and that seems to have been consistent.
    I’ll add that I tried my work around that I mentioned in my last post with the same problem in Group the Loop and it didn’t work.
    Seems like this started with iOS11.

• edited March 15

Well I just can’t fathom it, its so frustrating. I played Loopy through Auria and all channels were in perfect time. I open it next day (exactly same as it was saved) and some tracks playing out of sync again.

Also, why does Auri automaticly assign an AB channel in the mixer when I load the project that was saved without an AB channel ?

I have also tested Loopy in stand alone mode and the problem persists so it is a Loopy issue.

• edited March 16

sorry to hear about the presistent trouble. I really don’t have any solution... All I can think of is the fact that Auria is not really designed to be a “live mixer” but more of a DAW for recording and post-production mixing/ arranging. When I’ve tried, Auria seems to do weird things in a live setup. (Most likely user error, but still...)

If I were you I would try to find a setup solution that doesn’t involve Auria. You can even record inside Loopy and transfer to Auria later.

Or in general troubleshooting advice, start eliminating one app at a time to see which is the culprit messing up your Loopy tracks.

• @Hmtx said:
    sorry to hear about the presistent trouble. I really don’t have any solution... All I can think of is the fact that Auria is not really designed to be a “live mixer” but more of a DAW for recording and post-production mixing/ arranging. When I’ve tried, Auria seems to do weird things in a live setup. (Most likely user error, but still...)

If I were you I would try to find a setup solution that doesn’t involve Auria. You can even record inside Loopy and transfer to Auria later.

Or in general troubleshooting advice, start eliminating one app at a time to see which is the culprit messing up your Loopy tracks.

Well yes but it happens sometimes when Loopy is in standalone mode. If only loopy had it’s own mixer as fading in/out the tracks on the circles is fiddly and cumbersome.

• Sorry to chime in so late, @Marb67 - I'm ashamed to say I only just saw this thread. I'm a bit dismayed to hear you're having these issues, and would like to get to the bottom of it.

One theory to test so far, if it happens again, what happens if you change the tempo, wait about thirty seconds or so, and then change it back? I'm wondering if there's some awry going on with the time scaling stuff, and it's getting out of sync with the tempo state.

Also, are there any existing projects you have where this never happens? Or always happens?