Any updates on the ability to assign specific inputs?

Just discovered loopy and its amazing to say the least. Been having a lot of fun, but to take it a step further, id like to be able to seperate which input is on which loop. Im not looking to record more than one simultaniously, i just dont want my mic bleed getting into my guitar track because the mic and the guitar are both always armed. I have seen older posts about this, but have not found a solution.

Comments

• Hey @rvenneri22.
    You're quite right sir - amazing it is - I've been using for a long time now and have tested all the others and they just don't cut it like loopy does - it's my go-to for my live setup.
    I presume you've seen my discussion on specific inputs ? ::
    https://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/3061/record-separate-audio-inputs-to-separate-loops#latest

I have a solution that, although not perfect, does give the functionality that I think you're after.
    My reason for wanting separate inputs to separate loops is because I work with a guitarist and we both go into the same audio interface (Lexicon Omega) that then allows me to give us a side each (R and L).

Apologies before I start - this may seem convoluted but it's the only way I could find until our saviour @Michael gets a chance to see if this is even possible in future!

Here we go....

2 instruments go into separate inputs on Lexicon Omega.
    Lexicon inputs L & R are assigned 2 separate tracks on AUM (I then midi mapped the gain for these tracks to my SoftStep to allow me to arm/disarm (fader right down or 0db)).
    The output of these 2 tracks both go to Audiobus where AUM is the input and Loopy is the output.

So this gives me the ability to mute the instrument that I don't want Loopy to record at a given time. The only improvement on this would be the ability to assign specific inputs at track level in Loopy but this workaround is something at the moment and should solve your issue.

Do you have an audio interface and the apps to achieve this ? - sure there are other ways but I just worked this out with what I had at the time.

Any use ??

• Thanks for the kind words guys!

Just thinking about this for the in-development Loopy Pro (aka Loopy Masterpiece Edition); Pro currently has a group system where you can associate tracks with one of four colours. You can see the assignment process in the video I posted here. Groups serve a few functions: you'll be able to setup effects which act on a group; you'll be able to perform play/mute/record functions per group, like record next blank track in a group, or toggle mute for all tracks in the group. Would it serve the purpose you describe to also be able to assign an input channel configuration (and perhaps an output channel configuration) to a group?

• Ah i think i see how your workaround could work. I currently am using a focusrite 18i20 into my ipad. I dont have aum but i do have audiobus and axtually thought of your tactic, but audiobus does not seem to have midi control for mutes and what not. I kay havw to look at aum. Im just gettinf into ipad music but i come from logic and ableton so i have the gear to do it all.

@Michael
    The grouping looks amaaaazing! I used the grouping function in mainstage a lot when looping but i really dont like being tethered to a computer which is why ive taken a liking to loopy. The 18i20 basically has 8 inputs but i really only use 2 on my looping.. vocals and guitar. To be able to assign seperate inputs to seperate groups so my guitar loops dont have mic bleed in them would definatly eliminate any need for seperate apps to mute inputs im not using.

• @Michael said:
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

Just thinking about this for the in-development Loopy Pro (aka Loopy Masterpiece Edition); Pro currently has a group system where you can associate tracks with one of four colours. You can see the assignment process in the video I posted here. Groups serve a few functions: you'll be able to setup effects which act on a group; you'll be able to perform play/mute/record functions per group, like record next blank track in a group, or toggle mute for all tracks in the group. Would it serve the purpose you describe to also be able to assign an input channel configuration (and perhaps an output channel configuration) to a group?

That's an interesting take on groups. I had always assumed the more common use case was verse vs chorus vs bridge. I guess it would depend on the midi options and whether you've also got "scenes" to handle different parts of a song. I saw you referenced this in your video post but it wasn't clear to me how the scenes vs groups work.

• edited May 14

Hey @lukesleepwalker if you watch the video again you can hear/see that at approx 41 seconds it changes from Scene A to Scene B (Scenes shown in the bottom right corner of the screen) - it seems like you swipe to get from A to B.. (there is a swipe on the screen at approx 38 seconds.. and then loops in scene B "throb" and the background is dotty until it reaches the end of the loop at 41 seconds when it switches). There is another change to Scene C later in the video.

What a great idea!

• @Michael said:
    Thanks for the kind words guys!

Hey @Michael - I'm hoping to use Loopy in a smiler way to rvenneri22 with different instruments assigned to different inputs and way of doing that with the new group system would be ideal.. and it would make it so easy to see if you were recording on a Loop that was "mic" input or "guitar" input.

In addition - I'd REALLY love to be able to multi record two loops at once. So for example I could sing and play a chorus of a song and record loops for both.. (so then I'd be able to mute one of the parts later ). This would be more important if the "assign inputs to groups" feature was made than previously where both the vocal and the guitar were probably mixed into inputs 1 and 2.
    Also the possibility is getting a lot closer to my dream scenario - where two different musicians could be plugged into Loopy and each have their own record button on a MIDI foot pedal and be able to loop them selves independently of each other.

• Great! Okay, sounds like it's gonna work then. And yup, @ricksteruk, you'll be able to record multiple loops simultaneously with this.

• @ricksteruk said:
    Hey @lukesleepwalker if you watch the video again you can hear/see that at approx 41 seconds it changes from Scene A to Scene B (Scenes shown in the bottom right corner of the screen) - it seems like you swipe to get from A to B.. (there is a swipe on the screen at approx 38 seconds.. and then loops in scene B "throb" and the background is dotty until it reaches the end of the loop at 41 seconds when it switches). There is another change to Scene C later in the video.

What a great idea!

Well duh. Thanks so much for cluing me in. Now the idea of groups expressed above makes total sense. And being able to collaboratively and simultaneously loop in a live group setting? It's like a dream I hadn't dared to dream on iOS...

• I had no idea when i bought this app and posted on the forum, i would get direct interaction with the dev.. experiences like that dont happen these days and is quite a welcome change!