Gap in the loop

edited August 2012 in Techniques

I've read a couple posts here about this problem, and I can't seem to figure it out. I've tried a bunch of times, but I always get a gap in the tempo at the end/beginning of a loop, resulting in bad, off-tempo loops. I've tried tapping the tempo myself, tinkering with count-in times, using punch-in, using both metronomes and I just can't get it right. Someone please help me =( (FYI I'm trying to loop with and acoustic guitar, so I mostly use count-in/count-out)

Comments

• Might be a technical problem but one common hard bit with loopers is trying to play starting when the loop starts and stopping when the loop ends. instead, already be playing when the loop starts and play through the loop end.

That is, if you're looping four chords and they are abcd, be playing the d chord and switch to a when the loop starts and play all the way through, including the extra a when the loop ends.

Hope that makes sense!

• edited August 2012

Thanks for the help syrupcore!
    I managed to get chords to loop fine now, but I still have problems looping melodies. I'm playing before the loop starts, but the melody ends in a higher note than the first note, and that last note is always too short/not there at all. Any more tips? =D

• If you need the overlap, in settings turn on overdub after record. Play your final note all the way through and then shush/turn off recording. You can also manually put the loop in overdub mode afterward and just add your note.

• Yep, that did the trick. Thanks a lot!