Multiple time signatures / quantized to nearest beat ?

Hi, I plan to use Loopy in a guitar setup, for live purposes. Our band is a bit experimental and we mix different time signatures in a same track very often.

We sync Loopy with a Midi beat clock from a DAW, so we cannot start loops "on the fly". Loopy explicitely needs a time signature, lets say, 4/4. Everything goes right as long as you set loops with a length multiple of 4 (8/16/32...). But without deactivating Track sync, you cannot set a 6/4 loop in this session, even if you delete all loops. The only viable solution is to reset completely the session.

Is it possible to record a new loop WITH track sync, but WITHOUT managed length, quantized to, lets say, nearest beat ? Like that we could mix 4/4, 6/4, 7/8, and so on.

Anyway thanks for this wonderful app.

Rgds, Alex

Comments

• The only viable solution is to reset completely the session.

And it's not completely true, as it would mean to change time signature on the fly, what is, obviously impossible while playing :(

• edited July 2016

@Slash4 it should be possible to do you last idea;

@Slash4 said:
    Is it possible to record a new loop WITH track sync, but WITHOUT managed length, quantized to, lets say, nearest beat ? Like that we could mix 4/4, 6/4, 7/8, and so on.

Set Count-out Recording to Disabled (the second option) and I think you may have to set Count-in Quantize to Quarter Bar (not sure this is needed, especially if you are not using Count-in Recording). The set 4/4 time and when you stop recording, it should quantize to the next quarter bar (4/4 time would be 1 beat). You'll have to play/practice with the physical time of stopping the recording, if you go a little past a beat it will quantize to the next. Now this most likely will complicate starting and stopping loops of different length, so you'll probably need to set Play from start.

I'm traveling at the moment so can't experiment, but in theory it should work for your scenario.

Have a go and tell us how it works (or doesn't ;-)

• Hi, thanks for your answer ! I gave it a try, but count-out still occur, even if I disable it. If you specify a 4/4 bar, and a 120 BPM tempo, you must record a multiple of 4 beats. If you try 6, Loopy will wait two beats before closing the loop, and that's I want to avoid :(

• edited July 2016

OK the solution was so simple I'm ashamed I didn't try it in the first place. Just set 1/4 signature, and TADAAAA :)

You can mix any loop length you want, quantized to nearest beat. That's just what I needed. Wonderful piece of software.

• edited July 2016

Just another question : It works very well like that, but as soon as I try to set odd loops over my 4/4 first loop, like 7 beats for exemple, the start of the 7-beats loops is not on top of the circle. Any idea why ?

If you stop-restart all loops, odd ones doesn't start on their "one" . You can nudge them to position the one on top of the circle but I can't figure out why Loopy does not do it itself as I start recording the 7-beats loop exactly on the 1 of the 4/4 loop every time.