Record separate audio inputs to separate loops

Hi you clever bunch.
I'm having to use MainStage for my current live looping setup because I work with another musician.
I find MainStage clunky at best but it allows us to dedicate 2 separate inputs to the channel strips where our 'own' loop plugins reside.
We love loopy but can't find a way of dedicating a particular audio interface input to particular loop.
The workaround we've found is panning the loopy loops output hard left and right - it works but we end up with the wave display of both left and right on the loops.
Other option is to 'take it in turns' to record loops with some sort of switching device that shuts off the other one's signal when we're recording.
I have tried a glut of mixing apps including AUM and Mimix to no avail.

The only reason I ask is that one of the new kids on the block looper apps seems to allow hardware routing to chosen loops/tracks.

Is this something that I've missed in loopy - quite possible with me being a MIDiot of the highest proportions at times.

Any pointers or ideas greatly appreciated guys !

Magnus

Comments

• @Stage73 - loopy does not support pre-selection of input sources to specified tracks. And also it only records to one track at a time ( not a {simultaneous} multi track recorder). S if you both want to record to separate tracks at the same time, Loopy's is not the solution for you. The hopefully, near future Masterpiece edition may have this functionality ( @Michael ? ).

If you take turns recording to Loopy, I would expect that Mimix might work as the input to an AB channel and then turning the Volumes in Mimix on the 2 audio interface channels opposite (min/max, max/min) . Although I don't have Mimix so you should run that specific scenario past one of the Mimix guru's. Also, I would think that AUM could do this ( again I don't have AUM ). Using the touch screen or I believe midi control of volume or perhaps AUM has channel mute. Just some rambling thoughts on it.

• Nice one @Ganthofer .
    You've saved me time looking for something that's not there (yet....... ? @Michael ..... is there no end to the pestering from these pesky loopheads ?)
    I have both Mimix and AUM so will try out that AB workaround (using midi mapped pedal) before I buy a physical AB pedal.
    Must add that AUM's bus send functionality has given a shed load of flexibility on the effects bus front - highly recommended.

Thanks again for your time and thoughts @Ganthofer . Much appreciated.

• Tell me about it! You guys, running me off my feet ;-)

Actually please keep it up, it's pretty much why I do what I do!

I was considering not adding per-track input routing because of the increase in UI complexity, but after seeing your post I've thought about it some more and think I can make it work =)

• Hello All,

I'm new on here and i just purchased loopy.
    I got an ipad2 connected to a RME fireface 802 via the camera kit.
    The interface is managed by RME Totalmix running on the ipad.
    Loopy can access all the RME inputs via totalmix, but not the outputs, of course.
    My problem is that all my instruments and microphones are connected to the RME inputs, and so, if i want to change instrument or sound source, then i must manually select the right RME input from loopy panel.
    This fact avoids me to quickly record different sources, from different RME inputs.
    I'm fine to record one track at the time, but i would like to be able to set some templates where, for example, i can assign mic to track 1, bass to track 2, synth to track 3, and so forth.
    Is there any way right now to achieve it, or i need to wait for the possible enanchement that you are discussing on this thread?

Thanks a lot!

Cheers

• @Michael said:
    Tell me about it! You guys, running me off my feet ;-)

Actually please keep it up, it's pretty much why I do what I do!

I was considering not adding per-track input routing because of the increase in UI complexity, but after seeing your post I've thought about it some more and think I can make it work =)

@Michael
    What a guy !!! :) - this functionality would mimic that in mainstage/ableton et al - make it the one and only looper for me (and I have truly dabbled with them all).
    All I need now is an audio unit version of apple's delay designer for AUM (sorry Virsyn Tap Delay, it's not good enough yet) then pretty sure I'm on the road without macbook pro.
    Ticking all the boxes for live use is the name of the game for looping as I see it and this would push it onto the next level when you consider loopy next to pedal units.

Now I'm excited but I promise to wait patiently...... o:)

• hello here,
    I know it is an old topic.
    But i'm like @graafzeppelin, I wonder if it is possible to assign specific inputs to specific loopy tracks.
    Because I sing and play guitar, and I wish to loop one or the other independently.
    any idea ?

• edited February 20

Multi in would be nice
    However You can achieve your goal of multi track output and more by routing LoopyHD to AUM (Magic!) ;)