Can't get "Hold" Bindings to work

I would like to be able to use a single footswitch to control two Loopy functions, so have been experimenting with the "Hold" selection.

I am using a Helix floor pedal to send MIDI, and it can send note on/off via a momentary switch. Press down, and a note on is sent, when released a note off is sent. I can't get it working correctly with Loopy. For example, if I set up the note On to toggle record, that works OK. But if I set up a separate binding for Hold for the same switch, things aren't working.

Is there a trick to getting this "dual" function to work? How long does the switch need to be held down?

Comments

• Hmm, that's weird - can you tell me what happens if, in the binding screen waiting for input, you hold the pedal? Here's what happens with my BeatStep - it registers the "On", then about half a second later, the "Hold":

• @soundog - it used to be 0.5 seconds. @Michael would have to clarify if it has changed.

Just to be clear, you can assign a Hold in the midi bindings, but it doesn't trigger that binding when you hold the pedal down? Or the momentary/short press binding doesn't work?

Try using the Note OFF as the momentary short press binding instead of Note ON.

• @Ganthofer on the ball as always - what a champion =)

• I'm baffled. I'm unable to get this to work. What you describe is what I expect, but not what I'm getting. I'm using a Helix floor pedal, with switches set as momentary (note on/off). I checked output using MIDI Wrench, and the Helix is indeed sending a Note On when I press, and a Note Off when I release. Repeatedly and without fail.

With binding in Loopy, though, using note C3 as an example:

if I quickly tap the switch Loopy selects C3 On, then shortly after it selects C3 Hold.
    If I hold the switch, Loopy begins with On, then selects Hold (just like your BeatStep example). But when I release the switch, it selects C3 On!

For more clues as to what's happening, I checked to see what would happen when I force the bindings; trying to record track 1 with a note on or off, and recording track 2 with a note hold. Here are the results:

Binding Settings
    On (toggle rec track 1)
    Hold (toggle rec track 2)

What Happens
    Tap: toggles rec track 2)
    Hold: toggles rec track 2)

Binding Settings
    Off (toggle rec track 1)
    Hold (toggle rec track 2)

What Happens
    Tap: records a short moment of track 1, then starts playing the loop. Then track 2 begins recording.
    Hold: while holding down, track 2 begins recording. When released, track 2 finishes and plays; track 1 begins recording.

Any ideas???

• @soundog - So i tried your example on my iPhone 5 (iOS 9.3.2 Loopy HD 1.6.1) using a K-board via Puc+ (PUC+ 1.0) and direct connected via CCK. Cell, wifi and Bluetooth ON. No other midi on the network and no other Midi Apps running. short press started record on track 1 and long press started record on track 2.

Questions: (I always have questions when something doesn't work :-)
    iOS device:
    iOS version:
    Loopy version:
    How are you connecting the Helix to your iOS device (USB/CCK, ??...)?
    Have you tried this with only Loopy running?
    Any other Apps running and if yes, what?

I've got an Ipad running 9.2.1 that I can try later maybe, but would like to know what you are running. Also have backups of Loopy HD from fairly far back that I can try if you're not on the current version, but since it works (for me) on the current version I don't think that would be much help and I can't go farther back on the iOS version (thank you Apple )

• edited June 2016

@soundog - also, when I'm creating the bindings, I only pay attention that it shows as the right note (C3) or CC (7) and then I select the ON, OFF or Hold and save it, because I remeber seeing it in the past bounce between them (could be when I use the FCB1010?). It doesn't seem to with my K-board, short press highlites the On and a Long press (or just holding the button) highlites the Hold and releasing it leaves whichever one was highlited. But as I said, I usually just press and release the key/pedal and then manuall touch the mode (On/Off/Hold) that I want.

• Thanks for trying to help, Ganthofer ... much appreciated. I stripped down my more complex setup (USB hub with CCK, multiple apps through AUM, etc. So re-tested with just the Line 6 Helix pedal ---> CCK --> iPad Mini 2 (iOS 9.3.1, then tried with upgrade to 9.3.2) --> Loopy (newest version). I still get the same wacky, unwanted results.

I do exactly as you do: select On, Off, or Hold and save the binding(s). I tried using On and then Off for the tap function (and always Hold for the hold function. Note and channel value are always displayed correctly. As mentioned before, Midi Wrench shows all is well with the Midi commands being sent through iOS from the Helix switch(s). And ... all other bindings in Loopy work well .... its just the dual tap/hold function that is not working out.

As a second indicator leading me to believe that the problem is in Loopy, I tested using the same hardware setup with the Everest iOS looper. Everest provides a "tap/hold" function for Record (tap) and Reset (hold), for those a proper controller. Using the same setup with Everest, the tap/hold function works as expected; no problems.

• Hmm. I don't think we're gonna get anywhere further without some diagnostics. @soundog, I think I'd like to send you a version of Loopy with some debug stuff in it to see what your device is sending it. Would you be able to email/DM me your device ID? http://whatsmyudid.com/

• Thanks Michael .... sent you a forum PM with UDID.

• one other data point, not sure it matters. I'm using the newer "Lighting to USB 3" CCK. http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MK0W2AM/A/lightning-to-usb-3-camera-adapter

I haven't seen any oddities with it, and it allows you to keep your iPad charged while it at long gigs. Nice!

• Cheers @soundog; I've sent you a link to a test build.

• edited January 3

Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am having the exact same problem with my Line6 FBV Shortboard mkii. The only possible difference between my setup and @soundog is that my FBV sends momentary CC's, not notes. It is interesting that both of us are using Line6 branded controllers, although they are different models.

Did anyone ever make progress on this issue? Not being able to tap and hold is kind of a workflow killer :disappointed:

• I believe the same thing or something similar is happening with my FCB1010. I just recently got it all setup, but I have been working with bindings for hours and I believe hold function is a bit off.

Once again this could be me, but can we confirm this is supposed to be fixed?

• Welllll disregard my post, turns out I am a big idiot. I could have sworn I had my FBV controls programmed as momentary, but they were actually in single press mode. After changing them to momentary Loopy works perfectly with on/off/long press bindings.

Sorry for the false alarm :blush:

• @jesse_ohio said:
    Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I am having the exact same problem with my Line6 FBV Shortboard mkii. The only possible difference between my setup and @soundog is that my FBV sends momentary CC's, not notes. It is interesting that both of us are using Line6 branded controllers, although they are different models.

Did anyone ever make progress on this issue? Not being able to tap and hold is kind of a workflow killer :disappointed:

I have the same foot controller. the Line 6 FBV mkii works great for dual function controls (tap and hold) in LoopyHD.