Battery Powered Midi/Audio Interface for Busking

Hi all,

I'm using a portable, battery powered Alesis Transactive speaker for busking. It has a USB charging port (5V, 2.1A). Can anyone tell me if I can plug a USB powered USB hub into that port and then plug in a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface into one port and a iphone or ipad into another port and have:

• The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 be successfully powered
  • The audio interface and the iphone or ipad successfully talk to each other? (from this thread, I gather this part would work)

The Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 specs state:

USB bus powered

Take your Scarlett 2i4 anywhere! With USB bus powering, your Scarlett 2i4 will work anywhere your laptop will, even when using 48V Phantom power. No mains power supply required.

What I gather is that the 2i4 WILL successfully run off the charging port, but what I'm not sure of is what happens when I plug an iphone or ipad into one of the powered USB ports (so it can talk to the 2i4). Will that then add too much power drain and screw it all up?

I just put an email into Focusrite and hopefully they can answer this. I will post their response here. In the meantime, if anyone has any experience or info about this, I'd love to hear it.

Thanks!

p.s. - The Focusrite iTrack Solo Lightning and USB Compatible Audio Interface would work well for this because I could just plug its USB connection into the charging port and then it has a separate "device link" for the iphone/ipad. However, the iTrack Solo doesn't do MIDI and has RCA outs (I'd prefer XLR for sound quality).

Comments