Content Store In Loopy?

edited March 2016 in General

Hi folks!

I'm considering an in-app store for content within the upcoming Loopy Masterpiece Edition: packs of loops and one-shots that you can use in your own projects (commercial or otherwise), made by a variety of musicians, in a variety of styles.

I like the idea of having content available in there to augment people's creations, but on the other hand Loopy has never been a 'clip launcher'. Its focus has always been recording live loops, generating your own content. So I can see two sides to the idea, and rather than take a guess, I want to see what you guys think.

So, my question is this: would you use such a thing? Would you like to see a variety of content available for sale?

Edit: I've also posted the question on the Audiobus forum

Comments

• edited March 2016

I think we need more info about Loopy masterpiece. :)

Loopy is the undisputed king of live looping apps. And there is something to be said for "do one thing and do it well".

That said, there is always the adjacent value proposition. And with Loopy, the app is already open so I often use it to launch clips in a live situation, noodle on new song ideas, etc.

So could I see the content store being useful in the same way that I find Launchpad or the new Blocs Wave app to be useful. But part of that is because Launchpad is designed to be a Live style clip grid launcher and Wave makes it easy to audition different loops and clips.

So back to the original point: will masterpiece make sense as both the live looper and the clip launcher and the sketchpad? If I close my eyes, I can imagine the twelve circles compressed down into rows of smaller circles which would make sense, but... Flying just a bit blind here.

• Cheers @lukesleepwalker =)

Good point! Well, I'm focusing mostly on the core: making a great live-looper. So clip launching will always be a secondary consideration. With that said, once you've got your loops recorded, Loopy pretty much turns into a clip launcher anyway, so there's not a great distance between the two.

Something LM's going to have that Loopy doesn't is groups, which brings it closer to clip launcher territory. So, there's that.

• @Michael - personally I don't think I would use it, but then I'm not really doing Live loopy/performing either. I use Loopy more to try things out without all kinds of pre-setup.

• That makes sense @Ganthofer - definitely the main use case, I'd say.

• @Michael said:
    Cheers @lukesleepwalker =)

Good point! Well, I'm focusing mostly on the core: making a great live-looper. So clip launching will always be a secondary consideration. With that said, once you've got your loops recorded, Loopy pretty much turns into a clip launcher anyway, so there's not a great distance between the two.

Something LM's going to have that Loopy doesn't is groups, which brings it closer to clip launcher territory. So, there's that.

OK, so I'm clearly late to the party on Masterpiece--I just caught up with a few of the videos on Tumblr, etc. And WOW! I can't wait to see what you release with Masterpiece, Michael. It looks stunning based on the two videos I watched... And it looks like it'll stand up as a clip launcher even better than Loopy HD already does.

In any case, back to your original question: while I don't personally buy other people's loops/samples, I have a couple of friends who have amassed huge libraries and buy them all the time (and use them both live and at home). So, I think there is value in the proposal.

Cheers and looking forward to Masterpiece!

• Would I use it? almost certainly not. I use Loopy as a traditional live looper, feeding it my own signal.

Would I like to see the option? Absolutely, just cause I imagine it being a popular and successful feature.

• Cheers, guys =)

• If you're incorporating "Clips" with say rhythm loops - here's a suggestion - allow a clip to contain more than one loop - played in sequence. Why ? well often we can buy drum loops with lots of variations. we might have an intro for a bar - then several "VAMP" ( repeat endlessly groovers ) variations, then a few FILLS - then an ending loop.

But when working live - we might want to have just a few longer loops - where we incorporate several of these audio clips together.

Ableton can't do this and I wish it would Maybe Bigwig can.

One should of course be able to set how many times a sub-clip plays within the parent-clip.

So for example a single clip might be made up of three WAV loops a bar long - and then a fourth loop which is a fill.

• Ahh, yes, you'll be pleasantly surprised shortly =)

• @Michael said:
    Ahh, yes, you'll be pleasantly surprised shortly =)

Define "shortly"... :)

• No, no, I don't think I will ;-)

Not as little as 1 month, but not as much as 6 months, is all I'll say right now. Okay, probably not as much as 4 months either.

• @Michael: WHOOO! Can't wait for Loopy ME!

• I would definitely like to see some level of " clip launching" combined with the looping functions. I kind of use loopy that way now, at least in a compositional manner. This is also along the lines of what I was thinking when suggesting that individual loops could be designated one-shots, too. Is there already a way to do that. . .???

• There will be!

• @Michael How would you say ME's RAM footprint will compare with loopy HD?

I'm asking to find out whether I'll need to wait for the 4gb ram 9.7“ iPad before being able to use it in my current setup.

• ME (Loopy 3, actually, now) has a smaller footprint, because it streams audio from disk. So, nope, RAM isn't a big deal.

• @Michael said:
    ME (Loopy 3, actually, now) has a smaller footprint, because it streams audio from disk. So, nope, RAM isn't a big deal.

Just the answer, thanks!