New DIY Bluetooth controller

My DIY Bluetooth foot controller is complete and I couldn't be happier with the results:

I bought an Ion iCade Core from eBay for cheap and pulled out the buttons, circuit board, and battery pack. My first prototype used the buttons from the iCade:

As you can see from the sticky notes, this allowed me to correlate the buttons with the Side Car app that I use to "catch" the Bluetooth messages and transmit MIDI CCs to Loopy (and ToneStack and MiMix):

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/sidecar-midi-controller/id1073305840?mt=8

I wasn't completely happy with the iCade buttons because I mistakenly activated some while stepping on others, so I bought some guitar pedal switches from a supplier in Singapore (slow delivery but dirt cheap) and mounted them in the new enclosure. The wiring/clips from the iCade work attach easily to the new switches; no soldering required!

Now, I have eight different options at my feet with my iPad. :)

Comments

• Brilliant work!What's strange for me that I bought a DIY foot controller and changed those guitar pedal metal switches into plastic buttons,because when with metal switches,it produces program change signals(it's originally designed to control Guitar Rig and amp emulations kind of things),but with buttons,it produces MIDI CCs,it's crazy,do you know why?Thank you!

• @fatoad said:
    Brilliant work!What's strange for me that I bought a DIY foot controller and changed those guitar pedal metal switches into plastic buttons,because when with metal switches,it produces program change signals(it's originally designed to control Guitar Rig and amp emulations kind of things),but with buttons,it produces MIDI CCs,it's crazy,do you know why?Thank you!

Tough to say without more information (i.e., what you are trying to trigger in iOS) but off the top of my head, maybe the original switches were latch vs momentary?

• @lukesleepwalker said:

@fatoad said:
    Brilliant work!What's strange for me that I bought a DIY foot controller and changed those guitar pedal metal switches into plastic buttons,because when with metal switches,it produces program change signals(it's originally designed to control Guitar Rig and amp emulations kind of things),but with buttons,it produces MIDI CCs,it's crazy,do you know why?Thank you!

Tough to say without more information (i.e., what you are trying to trigger in iOS) but off the top of my head, maybe the original switches were latch vs momentary?

Yes,maybe that's the problem!Thank you for inspiring me!I'll buy different kind of metal switches and give it one more try,all the best! >:) B)