Sound changes when I run the application

Hi guys, thanks for this very good app!
I use Focusrite itrack dock with my guitar and loopy HD.
I have just a little problem. When i run the app, the sound changes.
Is there a setting that allows the app to not change the sound input and output ?

Best regards
Franck

Comments

• @PRZ - Hi Franck. It is unclear for me what you mean by "the sound changes". Can you provide more detail as to how the sound is changed?

Loopy has only one built-in effect - Reverb - found under settings. Is it that?

The only thing I can think of that might change is the Volume between recording and playback. Are you using headphones to listen to record (monitoring) and playback? Do you have monitoring turned on (you hear the sound source - guitar, even when no loop is playing)?

It may be helpful for us to knw the following:

iDevice are you using (iPhone#, iPad#, etc...)?
    iOS version?
    Loopy HD version

• Loopy HD version 1.5.2
    Ipad Mini
    IOS 9.2.1

Let me explain. I use Focusrite Itrack dock with Lucas Nano 300 amplifier.
    When I play guitar with all these equipments,monitoring turned on, the sound is good, it isn't changed.
    However, when I run the app Loopy HD, the sound is slightly modified. Even when no loop is playing, the sound is a bit muffled, less clear.

I do not know if you see what I mean

THX
    Franck

• @PRZ - The only thing I can think of is that you have Monitoring turned on in Loopy and Direct Monitoring turned ON on the Focusrite. Please check if you have Monitoring turned ON in Loopy (Settings>Monitoring) and turn it OFF. With Loopy Monitoring OFF, only the playing recorded Loops will come out of Loopy, not the sound coming into Loopy.

You describe that you play through the Focusrite/Lucas with out Loopy running and all is good. This would indicate that you are using the Direct Monitoring on the Focusrite, Yes? If you use the Focusrite Monitoring and you have Monitoring turned on in Loopy, these 2 signals get mixed together and will sound a little different. Any sound going into the Focusrite -> iPad and coming back out will be slightly delayed ( A to D - any signal processing - D to A ). This can very greatly.

• @PRZ
    I can probably identity your issue. I also use a Focusrite iTrack Dock. As Ganthofer mentioned, running both monitoring options can cause issues, but the Loopy monitoring option alone also very slightly changes the tone. I play bass, and when I play very percussive slap bass with the Loopy monitoring on, the tightness in the snap of my high strings is lost a little. Probably so subtle that it wouldn't be heard at all in most circumstances, but you can hear it when you're alone. Turn it off and just use the Focusrite monitoring, and it should be fine.

@Michael I never asked why this happens- is there some sort of buffer change or something when the monitoring is turned on?

• That's happening because there are two slightly delayed monitoring routes happening. Some hardware, like yours, already does monitoring, so if you set Loopy to monitor as well, then because of the signal delay going through the iPad, you get an additional, slightly delayed signal. If you're into DSP or audio effects, you may be aware that adding a duplicate delayed signal causes a variety of funky things (comb filtering, mostly) to happen to the sound, depending on how long the delay is. That's what you're hearing. As you've identified, the correct response is to just disable Loopy's monitoring as it's not required.

• @Michael
    Is there any way to get audio from other apps to pass through Loopy if Loopy's monitoring is turned off? For example, the effects I apply using Bias FX go away once I go back to Loopy's screen, whether they're both open in Audiobus or not.

• @BryanRTyler, you could set up a software based monitoring setup inside of your iPad and turn off your Focusrite direct monitoring.

Look into AUM by Kymatica. It is a multi-routing mixer which can route your FX chain to a direct monitor simple output and to Loopy simultaneously.

Problem with this is learning to live with latency, older iPads may or may not be able to handle setting latency to 256 frames, depending on the amount of FX you have going. 512 frames is acceptable, but will be noticeable.

• Yep, @Hmtx has it. Probably best to let the iPad do the monitoring, if you want to be able to hear the effects, though.

• @Hmtx said:
    @BryanRTyler, you could set up a software based monitoring setup inside of your iPad and turn off your Focusrite direct monitoring.

Look into AUM by Kymatica. It is a multi-routing mixer which can route your FX chain to a direct monitor simple output and to Loopy simultaneously.

Problem with this is learning to live with latency, older iPads may or may not be able to handle setting latency to 256 frames, depending on the amount of FX you have going. 512 frames is acceptable, but will be noticeable.

Thanks- I'll check it out. Latency is a deal breaker for me; I do have a Mini 4 which has a faster chip though, so that might help.

• If you have a iPad Mini 4, you should be able to run everything at 128 frames which won't add a noticeable amount of latency. I do not think that AUM, Loopy, Audiobus and Bias FX would tax the Mini 4 too heavily.