Usability and niggling issues

So I've been playing with Loopy HD for  some time now and here are some of the things that bug me...
  1. Setting the recording length. Similar to to most loopers, I just want to punch in and punch out to a master loop. From what I've read I disable Clock-out to make this work; so I'll give it a go.
  2. The side menu. It's really annoying trying to flick through the sections while recording. I'd much prefer that on larger devices the side menu showed everything. Just a simple pane on the side with icons for the metronome, BPM, loop length, play/pause, channel select and input level (dB Meter please!).
  3. An octave shift! 
  4. Switch input channel using MIDI. I have a 2 channel device that has Mic on left and guitar on right; I just want a simple way to toggle between the two using my foot controller.
  5. The pause button doesn't work if the loop is started using MIDI start from an external device.
  6. Small changes in tempo cause the audio to distort.

Comments

• Hi @ruairionline!

1. Yep, just disable count-in/out to punch in and out whenever you like
    2. Yeah, that bugs me enormously, too. It's gonna be all different in Loopy Masterpiece
    3. Yup, coming in Masterpiece too
    4. Not a bad idea. I'll see what I can do.
    5. True; Loopy relies on the external clock for transport control at present. Maybe I can do something about that.
    6. Yeah, the time scaling code provided by Apple that I'm presently using is not very good. I'm going to be writing a new system for Masterpiece.
  • Cheers for the responses Michael.

1) I tested this out and it works as expected. Pretty awesome!
    4) This is super important, let me explain. When gigging in a loud venue, you don't want to loop the vocal mic unless you absolutely have to as the background noise will layer and it will sound terrible. Most people will use an A-B switch of some sort to address this. Right now I tap the screen to change channel, so allowing this to be changed via MIDI would be sweet.

By the sound of it, Loopy Masterpiece will be awesome. When can I get my hands on it? I've tried throwing money at the screen but I'm not having any success.
  • @ruairionline said:
    Cheers for the responses Michael.

1) I tested this out and it works as expected. Pretty awesome!
    4) This is super important, let me explain. When gigging in a loud venue, you don't want to loop the vocal mic unless you absolutely have to as the background noise will layer and it will sound terrible. Most people will use an A-B switch of some sort to address this. Right now I tap the screen to change channel, so allowing this to be changed via MIDI would be sweet.

By the sound of it, Loopy Masterpiece will be awesome. When can I get my hands on it? I've tried throwing money at the screen but I'm not having any success.

Simple fix for number 4. Use Audiobus and MiMix. You can send both inputs through there and use the mute function to stop that audio signal going into loopy. The only thing is you have to be using a direct monitor sound on your interface or else it will mute your signal entirely. Hope that makes sense...

• Suggestion 4 would be great to have accessible by MIDI binding.  

The MiMix workaround is not an option for me, since I don't want a direct monitoring signal mixing with my wet fx signal.  Or this would also mean when I am not recording guitar, dry guitar signal will go straight to house without any audiobus effects. 
  • edited December 2015
    Thanks @ruairionline!

Out of curiosity, how would the MIDI input selector thing work? Would it switch between individual mono channels, just rotate through each available one?

Masterpiece is getting there - there'll probably be something preliminary over the next 3-4 months or so, I'd say, although what state it'll be in I can't say just yet! (Haha, and thanks for the gesture ;-))
  • I do like that idea. Maybe each binding could be "select L input" "select R input" "select LR input"

I'm not sure if it would even work for people that use AudioBus tho

• @Michael
    I think for Loopy HD I'd add two MIDI assignable commands:

• Toggle between Left and Right channel (this is the one I'd use)
    • Step through Left, Right and Mix (this would keep the edge cases happy)

I did do the MiMix (with audiobus) workaround as suggest above and assigned a midi command to mute the Mic. This workaround is fine for me.

The timescaling is the killer for me though. I use a Beat Buddy to do drums and it sends a MIDI sync back to loopy. When it works, it's awesome. But when the MIDI gods decide to interfere, then it all falls apart. Even a marginal shift in tempo will destroy the audio and worse still, even if the MIDI sync returns back to normal (which it usually does in an instant), the audio remains distorted. This makes me sad. I'll be buying your next software when it comes out regardless as I like to support local developers, but it would be a real shame if I'd have to wait many months before I could use a looper that is a bit more tolerant. And, as a dev myself, I understand the pressure you're under and know it's no easy task.

• I've been having a play around with the fix suggested by ABrokenRecord using MiMix. Now that I've played with it a bit more, the fact that it mutes the entire signal chain means it's unusable.

I think the most ideal solution would be if presets could be changed in Audiobus via MIDI. That way I could have one preset with both mic and guitar going to loopy and another with just the guitar and the mic going to the audio output.

• It does mute the chain. In my setup that doesn't matter since I use the Direct Monitor feature on my soundcard and don't use the monitor on Loopy. So while it mutes the signal into Loopy, the audience will still hear my live sound unaltered.

Does your interface have this option?

• Yeah I do have a direct monitor, but that means I'll not be able to use vocal effects. Having a MIDI controllable preset in Audiobus would allow me configurable routing and I could keep my effects or swap them as needed.