What bindings do you recommend for foot pedal?

So I've got my KMI 12 step working with Loopy but I really hate the feeling of the squidgy buttons and I'm going to build my own.
However, I want to work out how many controls I need on a foot pedal; do any of you have a 12 step / softstep or have built your own ? If so, how many buttons do you have a what do they do? What's vital, what's not?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• I am building one right now with 18. 2 controls for each of the 6 loops, a master start/stop, a clear switch, and two Audiobus controls (mute mic input & Low pass filter).

It's really up to you and your needs.

• Hang on. How do you put an audiobus control on their too? And how are they separate?

I wanted to control amplitube too without it being the current app? is that possible ?

• You can control many apps with one pedal. You can absolutely control amplitiube with it as well. When setting it up just make sure you are using each command only once. Many have done this before I believe.

• So even when I'm on loopy I can turn amps on and off in amplitube without leaving loopy ?

• Yes. You should be able to as long as the app is running in the background. I use DFX and AUFX: Dub in that exact way.

• Sorry. Pretend I'm an idiot. What is dfx and what is aufx? Also when you say you're building in 16 switches, are they all the same momentary switches ? You've only installed 8 on the board in the picture. Is that because you're using something to switch between their functions ?

• http://audiob.us/get/824/DFX

http://audiob.us/get/375/AUFX-Dub

Both are effects apps that can be run in an audio chain in Audiobus to Loopy.

• As @Hmtx said they are both effects that run in AB. The bottom row isn't in yet because it's just being built now. They are momentary switches linked to a NanoKontrol2 board.

• And just so I'm understanding it right, I can use my soft step to add bindings in amplitube AND loopy and as long as I don't use the same midi for two different functions, I can operate amplitube without actually being in the app (with it in the background)?

Or is it a case of adding all the bindings in audiobus and then audiobus sends the commands to loopy and amplitube ?

Thanks for all your help

@abrokenrecord I'd love to know exactly how you built that. I bought momentary switches and a sub numeric keyboard; I was going to use an enclosure but they're all too small. Your wood looks perfect.

• edited November 2015

I got a piece of metal cut for mine.

• @james948 said:
    And just so I'm understanding it right, I can use my soft step to add bindings in amplitube AND loopy and as long as I don't use the same midi for two different functions, I can operate amplitube without actually being in the app (with it in the background)?

Exactly!

Or is it a case of adding all the bindings in audiobus and then audiobus sends the commands to loopy and amplitube ?

No, audiobus does absolutely no function with MIDI. It only routes audio.

On iOS every app has access to incoming MIDI commands. Each app has to be individually set up to respond to specific commands. So you just have to make sure that each app listens for only the exact message you want it to receive.

• Great. Thanks. You said you have two audiobus controls though. How are you controlling audiobus ?

• The two Audiobus controls are for other apps (DFX & AUFX: Compression) to turn on and off.

• I'm using a 12 step at the moment. Until I build (or find someone to help me build) a better controller. When I try to add a binding in Amplitube though it doesn't recognise the KMI 12 Step. Is this just because it wants me to use its own Blueboard?

• @abrokenrecord without wishing to sound like an imbecile, where did you go to get your piece of metal cut. I am looking to do the same but I don't really know where to begin.

• I was fortunate to have a hook up at a metal shop. I'm sure there are sites to buy them.