Roland Lucina AX-09 newbie help.

Hi. I am new to the forum, to Loopy HD, to my Roland Lucina AX-09, and to MIDI. I am sticking my big toe in the MIDI waters and testing the temperature so to speak. I just purchased a used Roland Lucina AX-09 and am trying to start creating some basic loops with Loopy HD. The Lucina is a keytar synth with onboard sounds. It is also core MIDI compliant. I can connect the Lucina to my iPad by using the Apple USB to lightning "camera connection kit". This connection is confirmed to work in GarageBand. However, when I have the Lucina connected to the iPad and use Loopy HD, I would have expected the onboard sounds to be reproduced in Loopy, but for some reason, the app seems to insist on using the microphone on the iPad. Isn't it possible for me to output the Lucina's onboard sounds to Loopy HD?

Comments

• edited August 2015

@globetrotterdk - to get the onboard sounds from the Lucina, you would have to connect the Audio output of the Lucina to an external audio interface/dock that the iDevice can use.

By connecting the midi usb out of the Lucina to the CCK on the iDevice you should be able to play any (well maybe not any) midi synth or midi controllable sound App on the iDevice. Loopy only records audio and has no capability to make sounds it self. You could use the midi to control Loopy, but your goal obviously is to record what you play on the Lucina.

So, you either need more hardware to get the audio from the Lucina into the iDevice or use the Lucina midi to play a midi music app and use AudioBus to get the out put of the midi music app into Loopy.

• @Ganthofer said:
    globetrotterdk - to get the onboard sounds from the Lucina, you would have to connect the Audio output of the Lucina to an external audio interface/dock that the iDevice can use.

By connecting the midi usb out of the Lucina to the CCK on the iDevice you should be able to play any (well maybe not any) midi synth or midi controllable sound App on the iDevice. Loopy only records audio and has no capability to make sounds it self. You could use the midi to control Loopy, but your goal obviously is to record what you play on the Lucina.

So, you either need more hardware to get the audio from the Lucina into the iDevice or use the Lucina midi to play a midi music app and use AudioBus to get the out put of the midi music app into Loopy.

Thanks for the reply. So as I understand your reply, if I am to get Lucina onboard sounds onto the iPhone/iPad,I need more hardware. Could such a device be a Boss RC-30 loop station?

Cheers

• I think you're going to want an usb interface to get the audio there. The rc-30 will just take the place of Loopy (and will not give even 1% of what Loopy can do)

• edited August 2015

@globetrotterdk said:
    Thanks for the reply. So as I understand your reply, if I am to get Lucina onboard sounds onto the iPhone/iPad,I need more hardware. Could such a device be a Boss RC-30 loop station?

You could use the RC-30 instead of Loopy, but it doesn't get you any closer to getting Lucina audio into Loopy (realtime).

If quality is not an issue, you could get one of the analog cable splitters the plug into the headphone/mic jack and give you a mono analog input and a separate headphone jack. These typically result in poor quality recordings (frequency limitations, crosstalk from the headphone output, electrical hum, degraded sound due to imprudence mismatch).

So, if what you want good quality (or better) records of your Lucina's built-in sounds, you will need at minimum and iOS compatible audio interface. That could be, as @ABrokenRecord mention, a USB interface ( either just audio or audio and midi) that will connect to your CCK or the equivalent iOS specific interfaces ( a dock or module) that connects directly to your iDevice lighting/30pin.

The deciding factors are of course $$, Quality, Portability, Functionality ( 2/4/?channel audio input, USB midi, 5pinDin midi, built in USB hub, ...), not necessarily in that order.

• So are we talking about a USB sound card?

• OK, cool. Many thanks.