Considering moving from hardware to iPad+Dock+Loopy HD; questions!

hi everyone! I'm new to the forum, and although I'm not yet an iPad musician... I'm considering becoming one :)
this is going to be a long post, so please stay with me...

I'm using an all-gear setup in a band where I (mostly) sing, and I also play guitar. among other things, I use a BOSS RC-300 to loop two different sources (LEFT = voice / RIGHT = guitar) that have different routings (voice > KaossPad 3 > Nanoverb > PA / guitar > amp)

this setup, as every other, has it's strong points but also it's weaknesses... one is it's size, the RC-300 is huge and heavy - so I started considering the possibility of using LOOPY HD along with a dock and a bluetooth / midi pedal board.... so instead of having two looping sources, I have only one, that I can control with both my feet or my hands depending on what I need

so, I've been investigating LOOPY HD... so far, the main limitation that I've found is that it seems like the input is always stereo - I need LEFT to be routed to LEFT, and RIGHT to RIGHT - I've read that loops can be pre-panned but that's AFTER they've been looped... I need the channels to be isolated, so my voice always go to the PA, and my guitar always goes to the guitar amp.

I've also read there's a workaround where you can route one stereo pair thru the headphone out, and another one thru the camera connection kit... but I don't know if that would work, or maybe the input would go out on both anyway. I've also read that there's a new version coming out sometime that will be more powerful.... but in that case I would have to wait until there's a stable version out, and hope that feature gets implemented.

so that's my main question. others are:

• can I have sessions/templates easily accesed? with this settings, for example: length, tempo, time signature, loop configuration (A is one shot, B goes straight into overdub after X number of bars)
  • can I have a click track (or anything else) somehow routed to the headphones only?
  • if there's any way for me to make this work, what's the best dock I could get for my needs?

if it's helpful, I can explain my setup on detail, or even post a live video where you could see some examples of the evolution on some of the songs, to give an idea of what I need to be able to achieve.
thanks a lot!

Comments

• Hi @_latinoise, and welcome!

I could well be missing something, but if you have 2 (separate) channels coming in, and 2 going out, there shouldn't be any problem: unless you pan, Loopy will keep the two channels isolated, so you should be able to just route channel 1 to the PA, and channel 2 to the amp as you describe.

Length, tempo and time sig, yes; one-shots aren't a thing in Loopy (but will be in Loopy Masterpiece Edition). You can save and restore sessions within the "Sessions" screen.

Currently, metronome goes to the main output only (this will change in a future release of Loopy, as soon as I've built multichannel out support - it may be a little while off, though). You can make your own click track on a loop, panned to left or right though (but it won't route out a different signal path to the other outputs).

There's a fair bit of chatter about hardware in the Equipment category, to get you started there.

• @Michael said:
    Hi _latinoise, and welcome!

I could well be missing something, but if you have 2 (separate) channels coming in, and 2 going out, there shouldn't be any problem: unless you pan, Loopy will keep the two channels isolated, so you should be able to just route channel 1 to the PA, and channel 2 to the amp as you describe.

Length, tempo and time sig, yes; one-shots aren't a thing in Loopy (but will be in Loopy Masterpiece Edition). You can save and restore sessions within the "Sessions" screen.

Currently, metronome goes to the main output only (this will change in a future release of Loopy, as soon as I've built multichannel out support - it may be a little while off, though). You can make your own click track on a loop, panned to left or right though (but it won't route out a different signal path to the other outputs).

There's a fair bit of chatter about hardware in the Equipment category, to get you started there.

hi @Michael, thanks for answering! :)

the channel issolation is great, solves my main concern :)
    btw, is there any estimate release date for Masterpiece Edition?
    also, I'm curious about the multichannel support -how is that going to be possible? I mean, I assume you'll need some sort of multiple-output soundcard? or is there some other way around it? all the docks I've seen have only have a stereo output - if this is going to be achieved via software, I'm wondering if there will be new docks with more outputs coming along....

• No worries =)

No release date just yet, it's still very early days. I expect it'll be done within 12 months, probably a fair bit less.

Multi-channel outputs: there are actually lots of audio interfaces out there with more than 2 output channels.

• @Michael yes, I know although the dock format looks nice for live performance... it seems like they're all stereo-out only, so far.

I'll keep investigating...any recommendations are more than welcome!
    multi-channel out will be great - as far as I'm concerned, it will be the only way that I can make my setup work while also keeping up with stereo effects for the voice channel, thinking of something like this:

guitar (L) > LOOPY HD > out to amp
    voice (R) > LOOPY HD > fx app*, turnado? for delays, reverbs, slicers, etc. > out to PA

*if I can also do this in the ipad instead of using more hardware, it would be absolutely amazing ;)

am I rightfully asuming that this kind of setup will be possible once multi-channel support is added?

• @Michael also, one more thing - is multichannel support coming along with Masterpiece Edition, or also with a new version of Loopy (maybe sooner than Masterpiece...)?

• guitar (L) > LOOPY HD > out to amp
    voice (R) > LOOPY HD > fx app*, turnado? for delays, reverbs, slicers, etc. > out to PA

*if I can also do this in the ipad instead of using more hardware, it would be absolutely amazing ;)

am I rightfully asuming that this kind of setup will be possible once multi-channel support is added?

We're still figuring out the details here, but possibly. We're listening =)

is multichannel support coming along with Masterpiece Edition, or also with a new version of Loopy (maybe sooner than Masterpiece...)?

Definitely Masterpiece; possibly in Loopy, not quite sure yet - it's a pretty advanced feature, so I think it's more likely it'll appear in Masterpiece only for now.

• @Michael I read this thread
    http://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/2338/solution-for-separate-click-track-that-is-not-audible-in-the-main-stereo-mix

wouldn't it be possible to do what I want with this approach?
    "The newest loopy update let's you route every track individually and also the click into an audiobus channel strip (awesome indeed!),"
    correct me if I'm wrong: you can't output loopy's tracks directly into soundcard outputs (currently), BUT it is possible to route them to Auria channels via audiobus2, an then from Auria to the outputs...?
    in that case, although a bit more complicated, I could live with that, until Loopy gets that feature ;)

• Yup, that is possible - quite complex though =)

• Definitely should work, also here's a list of audio interfaces. It lists the number of ins/outs http://audio-mastering-studio.blogspot.com/2014/05/ios-compatible-audio-interfaces.html

You'll need more than 2 outs if you want two tracks plus click track.

• I would probably choose the Focusrite Scarlett 2i4 USB Audio Interface if I needed what you have described here. Many people also really like the Akai EIE.

• @Hmtx thanks for that list! Scarlett 2i4 seems pretty good - 2 inputs (for voice and guitar) 4 outputs (1 for guitar to the amp, 2 for voice with stereo effects, 1 for a click maybe?)
    the only thing that I'm unsure of is...power supply? seems like it's only usb-powered. I'm looking for a no-computer setup :-/

• Oh that's where it gets very slightly complicated. Most of the devices on that list are not specifically made for iPad. You plug them in with a USB cable and the USB camera adapter for iPads.

Also some of them need more power so there has to be a powered USB hub inbetween the iPad and audio interface.

Even after that I still think it is worth switching to iOS looping.

• @Hmtx, yeap as far as I understand, it seems like the Scarlett 2i4 needs a powered hub... still, it looks like a pretty good option - I already have a Scarlett 8i6 ato wich I really like :) but I would prefer not to unplug my home soundcard every time I have a gig (plus sometimes I leave everything set up when rehearsing)

• I'm thinking that maybe Akai EIE is better for my needs (more balanced outputs, I'm not fond of RCA outputs)
    I hate it's size and format but oh well... you can't have everything.
    I was wondering, considering the hub ports on the back of the EIE, could I connect a SoftStep v1 straight into the EIE (and maybe some other controller) and then the EIE to the iPad via usb + camera connection kit?

• I like Akai EIE as well. One question, If I'm using 3 inputs, how can I have 1 main out into a DI Box. It seems like you have to have each one out seperately unless I'm missing something. My current SC has two outs (Left is mono so I just go out of that one). How do I accomplish something similar.

• here's what I'm trying to achieve, as far as I understood, it should be possible. could anyone confirm this?

• edited August 2015

Too early in the morning to try to work out your picture but this is what I've been using with EIE red face. Mimix is only being used to route a click track (saved as one of the loops) to the drummer. I presume the same technique can be used for your needs. You'll probably find that logistically moving from hardware to iPad based looping will increase the logistical load but will most definitely open other creative opportunities.

Audiobus preset '2 Mics Live Shuffle 2': http://preset.audiob.us/OjlZQgu2lEEwejk

• @Supadom great! - I actually considered using MiMix instead of Auria, as it seems lighter and and just about enough for my needs, and also a lot cheaper. One question though - could you explain me, if possible, how is it that you configure MiMix to route tracks on differen outputs? thanks!!

• Very easy. Just stick that loopy track in the input and put mimix on output of that pipeline. Then within mimix you can choose output routing as it shows you all of the physical outs.

• @Supadom said:
    Very easy. Just stick that loopy track in the input and put mimix on output of that pipeline. Then within mimix you can choose output routing as it shows you all of the physical outs.

awesome! I can't wait to try this!
    thank you guys so much for all the info :)