Loopy and Samplr Live Performance

I have a month off away from my family and thoroughly enjoying it

http://youtu.be/eh-RlFg27Og

Comments

• That was awesome!

• edited July 2015

So freakin cool!

[Edit:] I just spotted your other video today over on Audiobus forums and was thinking about posting it here for the Loopy folks to see.

Seriously your stuff Is getting good! very clean performance while keeping your edgy vibe. when I hear your stuff I always tell myself I've got to figure out Turnado better. Now samplr too :-)
    Inspiring.

• Nice!

• @supadom niiiiiiiiiice!
    could you explain your setup briefly? you have loops routed through different effects or something like that?

• in this video 3 loops go through turnado and samplr is routed through effectrix which is used on a static way (all fx active all the time with knobs assigned to blend etc. it is a relatively simple routing where effects are used as post processing. I like to build a track up gradually and bring effects in where the groove is already established.

• @Supadom said:
    in this video 3 loops go through turnado and samplr is routed through effectrix which is used on a static way (all fx active all the time with knobs assigned to blend etc. it is a relatively simple routing where effects are used as post processing. I like to build a track up gradually and bring effects in where the groove is already established.

that's pretty cool
    one question though
    are all three loops going thru the same effects? or can you route them differently?

• Well, turnado is stereo in and out so can be only used once. Currently it is the only fx I use other than Magellan fx on vocals and tonestack on guitar.

I find there's enough going on to not need another fx. I don't want it to be too fx heavy either, it's easy to get swamped by the effects and drown the song. At the mo song Vs effects/fancy tricks is about 50/50.

Also as it is I'm hovering around 95% ram which is just about for live use even if slightly on a risky side but the rig has been thoroughly tested.

• @Supadom, cool
    I'm planning on getting an iPad Air... wich one are you working on? I'm curious about the ram usage...
    I plan on using several apps, although not heavily - I don't know how much of processing they take for just beeing loaded in the background vs. beeing modified in realtime.
    while looking around for FX apps, y came across three that seemed the most interesting for me (considering I'm looking to replace a KaossPad3+Nanoverb combo)

• Turnado
    • Flux:FX
    • DFX

for what I've seen so far, I liked DFX the most for my voice, considering how hands-on and simple it seems to be - just one screen, same touch grid interface (Although I know the others I mentioned also have that)
    and it also supports midi, so I could add a nanokontrol, or maybe even control some effects with a SoftStep...

I've been thinking of maybe using guitar effects on the ipad too - just some mild distortion, a couple of delay presets... nothing wild, really - maybe Turnado, or some other guitar-oriented app...

here's a video of my band playing a few songs, if you want to get the idea - all vocals are recorded live (even the harmonies, by muting the ouput signal an recording them while the songs build up), you might like it, we work quite a lot with looping: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmeXODhSl18&feature=youtu.be

• I'm on Air 2. The last loopy update claims to have sorted latency issue for this iPad but I've never had any obvious issues. As for multieffects apps Flux is resource heavy and DFX has some crackles when changing values which I find annoying. To me Turnado is the winner because it is very stable and has great midi implementation but I haven't checked DFX for that but I assume it won't be as detailed as Turnado. I use Magellan synth FX on vocals for delay, reverb, eq. This also has great midi bindings. Tone stack is also great for midi and sounds great to my ear. I guess the key here is good sound, but not too good so it doesn't hog too many resources and that's what TS is.

Nice vid. You have good musicians there. Any chance your drummer wants to move to the UK? ;)

• edited August 2015

@Supadom said:
    I'm on Air 2. The last loopy update claims to have sorted latency issue for this iPad but I've never had any obvious issues. As for multieffects apps Flux is resource heavy and DFX has some crackles when changing values which I find annoying. To me Turnado is the winner because it is very stable and has great midi implementation but I haven't checked DFX for that but I assume it won't be as detailed as Turnado. I use Magellan synth FX on vocals for delay, reverb, eq. This also has great midi bindings. Tone stack is also great for midi and sounds great to my ear. I guess the key here is good sound, but not too good so it doesn't hog too many resources and that's what TS is.

Nice vid. You have good musicians there. Any chance your drummer wants to move to the UK? ;)

hahhah don't you try to steal my drummer! we're from Argentina, that's a long way :P
    great info about FX, thanks! I actually thought Turnado was a bit heavy, just out of pure speculation
    my setup would probably be something like this:

guitar > LOOPY HD (loops 1-3) > (maybe some fx?) > MiMix (Mono Output on the Akai EIE)

mic > LOOPY HD (loops 4-9) > DFX or Turnado > MiMix (Stereo Out on Akai EIE)

I would control LOOPY (and maybe also some FX) from a SoftStep, maybe I'll add a nanoKontrol later, if needed.
    do you think it can handle it? have in mind that I'm usually not handling a lot of actions simultaneously