Help with foot pedal decision

Hello all.

I'm looking to use a foot switch with Loopy HD and am a little confused about what works and what doesn't.
Is there anything special I should look for when choosing a pedal?

Currently I'm looking as something like one of these, any reason why they wouldn't work?
-Roland Foot Controller (GA-FC)
-Marshall 4-Button Footswitch Pedal (PEDL90008)

Thanks for your time

Comments

• the footpedal should send midi masseges to loopy (program change-, controller-, note-messages).
    the above switches won´t do it i think. if you are not dependent on a battery powered pedal you could take this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-MIDI-FOOT-CONTROLLER-FCB1010/dp/B000CZ0RK6/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1428342660&sr=1-1&keywords=behringer+fcb+1010

it´s a large thing but it works for many loopy musicians.

before you start with the selection of a pedal you should know what you want to do with loopy.
    which bindings (midi connections between loopy and your footpedal) would you like to use etc...
    do you power the pedal by a wall wart/ac or would you like to do this by batteries?
    can you do it with less pedals?
    or would you like to use a wireless connection pedal/loopy (bluetooth)?
    http://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-Blueboard-wireless-controller/dp/B00BIPL9JW/ref=sr_1_1?s=musical-instruments&ie=UTF8&qid=1428343349&sr=1-1&keywords=blueboard
    that means loopy app must always be in the foreground to be able to trigger bindings.

there´s so much to consider...

• oh, i should ask you further how you want to connect the pedal with loopy?
    usb-midi or 5pin-midi?

• I agree with Owi, FCB1010 is becoming an almost Standard with Loopy musicians (not all). Considering price and options, it's the best bang for your buck.

• I use boss fc 50. It only gives access to 5 switches but is cheaper (second hand) and smaller than fcb. Good thing about fcb is that it has cc mode with which you can access newly added long press loopy binding. This isn't possible with pedals sending only program change messages.

• Also a note of caution. Icon midi controllers are not compatible with IOS 8

• edited April 2015

Icon midi are compatible. I used in mi ipad air 2 retina with iOS8
    It's a problem in de icon web. Isn't updated .

This is the email of ICON.

"Hi Lucas,

Yes, our G-Board controllers are 100% class compliant, and they use the Operating System-supplied generic MIDI drivers. I know they were tested and found working correctly with the iOS 7 version, however, I don’t know for certain if they were ever tested or certified for use with this newest version of the OS. We have not heard of any problems with any of our MIDI controllers on iOS 8 since its release, so I would hope it is still working correctly and nothing has been changed in iOS which might break our compatibility.

I hope this helps, and if you have any other questions or run into any trouble with our gear, feel free to contact me for further support.

Thank you,

Rob

Rob Allegretti
    Tech Wizard
    Icon Digital USA
    [email protected]
    (608)829-3450 x619"

• One image of my G-boar. I am sure.
    ;)

• My Scarlett i18i8 has 5 pin midi connections in, out/thru so I am using and old midi switch from the 80's, a Patch Commander ;-). AC power, but big durable buttons

• @Lucas that's cool. I wrote to them about another 2 icon controllers and they wrote back saying they weren't compatible. That was a few months ago though.

How are you finding the pedals do they feel good under the foot and do they switch properly? Also can you set them to send CC messages or is it only Program Change? Is there a mac editor or are the values fixed? Thanks

• edited April 2015

@Supadom The bad info is in the european web. I talk with USA.
    The pedal is strong and robust. I am happy The switch are a little hard (but they are new ^_^ ).
    LoopyHd recognizes the CC.

• But the perfect for me es Guitar rig Kontrol, but isn't iOS compatible :'(

• @Supadom said:
    I use boss fc 50. It only gives access to 5 switches but is cheaper (second hand) and smaller than fcb. Good thing about fcb is that it has cc mode with which you can access newly added long press loopy binding. This isn't possible with pedals sending only program change messages.

Hey supadom, I've got an Fc50 too :) have you used a momentary pedal (like a keyboard sustain pedal) into the 2 CC inputs on the back of the FC50? That allows access to the long press modes...so potentially 4 more footswitchable functions for us.

• I know what you're saying @stjambience but I'm trying to keep it simple. I already have extensive bindings going on via pads on my beatstep and akai lpd8. I only use my foot switch for parts where I play guitar (both hands busy) so 4 is quite enough. Thanks for the suggestion though.

• Sounds cool @Supadom...you probably have enough stuff going on then! The beatstep looks great. How are you sending so much midi stuff (5 pin and USB) to your ipad?

• Akai EIE red ios music best kept secret

• @Supadom said:
    Akai EIE red ios music best kept secret

Oh nice...I've seen those. Sounds like a great rig!

• I've been very happy with my KMI Softstep 2. Lightweight and highly customisable as far as functions go. Connects via USB. The letdown/upside depending on how you look at it is the amount of options you have for programming it. All of the buttons are pressure sensitive, with x and y axis sensitivity, so when you are setting up your midi messages you have to make sure each button is assigned correctly, so it will behave in the right way. I have my pedal mapping preset if you end up needing it.

• Here's a snap. It's also a looker, esp in the dark ;)

• I've got a BlueBoard Bluetooth pedalboard for sale in the Marketplace above.

• @Supadom said:
    Here's a snap. It's also a looker, esp in the dark ;)

Rad...we need some video now ;)

• @Lucas Hi Lucas, how do you connect your Icon g-board to iPad?

Inviato dal mio iPhone utilizzando Tapatalk

• edited May 2015

Hi @Fedeb. Con un adaptador de apple y un powered hub. (powered because i need supply sound cad).

Apple usb adapter
    http://store.apple.com/es/product/MD821ZM/A/adaptador-de-conector-lightning-a-usb-para-cámaras

Powered hub
    http://www.belkin.com/th/IWCatProductPage.process?Product_Id=551524