Anyone interested in cheap DIY Bluetooth-Pedal?

edited February 2015 in Equipment

Hi Y'all!

I'm a DIY enthusiast from Germany and I recently dove into live looping (as a non-musician I can't really show any cool achievments... sry). But I made myself a pedal, which I thought might interest you. I came across this forum and felt that most of you wanted a pedal solution, but were stuck with retail ones with various limitations (too few Buttons, cable bound...).
So here's what I came up with for you (inspired by some other great projects that I need to give credit if i can find them again):

11 Button (22 Actions, could be modiefied to 43 Buttons = 86 Actions) Bluetooth Pedalboard, compatible with any Bluetooth device (tried it on iPad 4 and a Surface (different software though - AmbiLoop... super fun)). All encased in a stainless steel housing, (somewhat steam-punkish though :D ) and it runs on 2 AAA batteries.
All that for roughly 50€ (= $55) and about 5 hrs of work.

Let me know if you guys are interested, and I'd be very happy to create a tutorial for all you musical geniuses out there.
(Sry, no pics at hand. Will add some later)

*Edit: Added 1 Pic. Just so you have a rough idea of what we're talking about.

Comments

• Cool! What did you use for the brain and what type of signals does it transmit (midi, key commands, etc.)? Does it work with loopy in the background?

• very neat, details please

• Hi guys,

thanks for the replys. I'll do my best to answer adequately.
    @Ringleader: The brain is a modified Bluetooth keyboard. That means it sends key commands, no midi. If I understand correctly, you want to edit/create a Loop while another App is on top? I'd have to try that... I have no idea whether or not that's possible.
    @Hmtx: Thanks for the interest. I'll try to get pics and a more detailed description till saturday (I don't have the pedal here atm. I made it for a musician friend of mine).

• Thanks for the info. If it is a bluetooth keyboard, then I would venture to guess it won't work with Loopy in the background. This might be ok for some users, but makes things complicated if you are switching between apps while looping.

• For it to work it would require an app to manage the signal in the background ik Blueboard style. Would love to be proven wrong though.

• hi nixonthe1st,

looks awesome. really like the steel-housing, especially compared to the blueboard!

i'm from berlin and would like to test it or have more informations about it...

• Allright. I'll be gone 'till the weekend. Hopefully I can give you a Heads-Up on Sunday. Fingers Crossed...

• Ok, I'll make a new pedal (Budget Version) on Sunday... (although a USB Version) and I'll make a tutorial out of it. I'll Keep you posted as soon as it's done.

• So, sorry for not uploading a tutorial... time's really tight right now...
    But I had this lengthy conversation with an App programmer about the whole Loopy-in-the-background issue. So as it turns out, it is not possible to have any third Party app redirect key strokes to an app in the background. That's due to security rules, so that no app can track Keyboard Actions (e.g. Passwords...). So the only way for a Keyboard to work with Loopy in the Background, is for the app in the foreground to actively forward key strokes to Loopy. (Not even Loopy itself can listen to keystrokes from the background, as it would then be classified as a security hazard).
    So, as it seems... if you need to control Loopy in the Background, using a keyboard is not an option.

Just out of curiosity as a non-musician: What other App do you need in the foreground?

I'll let you know as soon as there are more Infos about the pedal... for those still interested ;D

• there are ways to work around the "keystrokes send to foreground app only" issue. I think the easiest is if you have a spare iPhone or iPod touch that you can pair your keyboard with. If so, there is an app called DoubleDecker which receives keystrokes, converts them to MIDI and will then send the data over wi-fi to Loopy on your iPad. When done like this, Loopy can be in background because it is receiving MIDI, not keystrokes.

• edited March 2016

@nixonthe1st said:
    Hi Y'all!

I'm a DIY enthusiast from Germany and I recently dove into live looping (as a non-musician I can't really show any cool achievments... sry). But I made myself a pedal, which I thought might interest you. I came across this forum and felt that most of you wanted a pedal solution, but were stuck with retail ones with various limitations (too few Buttons, cable bound...).
    So here's what I came up with for you (inspired by some other great projects that I need to give credit if i can find them again):

11 Button (22 Actions, could be modiefied to 43 Buttons = 86 Actions) Bluetooth Pedalboard, compatible with any Bluetooth device (tried it on iPad 4 and a Surface (different software though - AmbiLoop... super fun)). All encased in a stainless steel housing, (somewhat steam-punkish though :D ) and it runs on 2 AAA batteries.

Let me know if you guys are interested, and I'd be very happy to create a tutorial for all you musical geniuses out there.

Hi Nixon!!

I would LOVE a Bluetooth pedal like this but modified slightly.
    Would want it in a wedged shape and 18 buttons (two rows, 9 on top, 9 underneath) and an on / off switch.
    Obviously it would have to be longer and spaced out so you don't step on each button but that would be awesome!

How much would it be for something like that?
    I am based in Liverpool in the UK and this is truly the answer I have been looking for to use with my iPad.
    I use the IK multimedia Blueboard and just wish and dream of more than 4 buttons.
    Thoughts?

I have done a quick sketch of what I mean.
    Buttons being just for the idea.. But could really be assigned to anything thanks to Loopy's Binding system!

• I would love to have a battery powered, Bluetooth pedal board like the one shown above. Been wanting it for at least three(?) years now.

• hello, is it possible to get the tutorial?

@nixonthe1st said:
    Hi Y'all!