Creating intro, verse, chores and outro

edited November 2014 in General

I'm a guitar player and have a solo act. I've owned and preformed with boss RC300. Loved it but was limited to 3 tracks.
I have iPad air 2, focusrite I-dock and getting ready to buy behringer foot controller (unless you have a better suggestion). Can anyone please walk me through how to creat an intro, verse, chores, outro etc. I have had Loopy HD for a while now. Tried to do what I'm asking, Guess just have a brain block going on. I would appreciate any help.

Comments

• I would love to be able to do this with Loopy also. I am wishing new bindings included in the next Loopy updates...

• i tried these bindings, hope that helps:
    ´toggle record, mute, then select next track´, ´solo track´, ´toggle record´, ´select next track´, ´select previus track´, ´toggle session pause and restart´, ´toggle mute´.
    all bindings=selected track...

• You either want to use
    "Toggle record, mute, then record [next track]" to go A>B>C without stopping.
    To build material A+B+C you "Toggle record, then record next track" which will just keep adding new tracks right after one another.

Hope it helps,
    --B

• Have a FCB1010 and set 8 buttons dedicated to "mute" 8 loops.
    The 1 for start stop session, and 1 for rerecord (in case of mess-ups). Working for me so far.
    Here's a home recording showing some possibilities.
    http://youtu.be/SmKY2QrcA6k

• @tom, I want to start dancing... and I definitely don't dance. That is so good. loving the guitar

@ the original question, yes its totally possible but a matter of Loopy having so many MIDI binding options! There are several different ways to go about it depending on all the other questions: are you putting down a rhythm loop first that you want all other loops synced to? (like Tom's metronome claps in the example above) Or is each song section basically independent of the other sections and timed just by manually tapping in/out? it is .

I think I heard Michael say he is favorable toward the idea of "preset MIDI binding configurations" that emulate the setup of specific hardware loopers. That may be a ways down the road, but it would be great.

• Damn, Tom, you're so good

• (Haha - but the screen lag on the volume adjust is not so good...we'll get there)

• I noticed that too... but I think the MIDIs are lagging (notice his reaction; the audio doesn't fade in with his foot movement, they fade in with the Loopy screen).

I'd be interested to know what the MIDI routing is for that expression pedal. Does another app multiply the cc to three channels? Or are the three volumes just bound to the same MIDI cc?

I've had similar MIDI lag issues when doing multiple cc changes simultaneously. (ie: panning one track while fading another). I was using virtual MIDI from MidiDesigner Pro on iPad 2. With a newer device things run smoother.

• edited January 2015

I just want a midi function that emulates pushing Loopy's 'stop' button with your finger. (That's STOP... Not pause and keep running in the background...)

You'd think that would've been one of the first bindings when Loopy first came out...

• edited January 2015

@muzza - if you are talking about the Play (triangle pointing to the right) PAUSE (double vertical lines) buttons on Loopy's UI, then "Toggle session pause and restart" is the equivalent Midi binding of tapping these. There is no Stop (square) button on Loopy's UI.

• @Tom said:
    Have a FCB1010 and set 8 buttons dedicated to "mute" 8 loops.
    The 1 for start stop session, and 1 for rerecord (in case of mess-ups). Working for me so far.
    Here's a home recording showing some possibilities.
    http://youtu.be/SmKY2QrcA6k

Good stuff mate. Have you ever tried panning some of the tracks left and right? This way as soon as you've finished recording the playback will move to left or right giving you much clearer sound.

• Never played with that. I'll give it a try. Thanks

• @Ganthofer said:

"Toggle session pause and restart" is the equivalent Midi binding of tapping these.

So Loopy is actually able to do the "seamless" move from V-Ch-Br, and has the ability to move directly to the TOP of each section at will ( button push ) after the section playing stops ? "Pause" suggests maybe it might not work that way.

The last i checked, Michael said we aren't quite there yet.

Quote from Michael : "Hey Otis - the verse/chorus workflow isn't directly addressed yet in Loopy, aside from the additional MIDI bindings (Toggle record, then record next track, Mute and play next muted track). I plan to dig into this properly for an upcoming project =) "
    THAT WAS A WHILE AGO admittedly.

Interesting . @Ganthofer , you've been in on these discussions in the past. Care to elaborate/confirm that what some have been looking for actually works now?

Hey @gregsell
    Past discussions on this:

http://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/479/multi-midi-commands-with-one-button-push#latest

http://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/778/loopy-manual-verse-chorus-bridge-question-again#latest

http://forum.loopyapp.com/discussion/477/recording-verse-to-chorus-to-bridge#latest

Very interested to know if this an actuality now.

Thanks, Otis

• @oscarecroe - actually I was only commenting on @muzza's Stop button. Which there isn't, it's a Pause button, but that there is a midi binding that does the same.

Now, to your question - short answer No - not as discussed in the previous posts. Can it V/C/Br be done, short answer - Yes ( the exact way depends on the song's form {number of measures in each can help or hinder} ) and most likely will require manually timing the change over from one to the other, as there is no automated transitioning from one loop to the next if the end of one does not match the beginning of the other ( loop clock timing wise). This is where you must intervene and restart the session ( move loop clock to start).

• edited February 2015

@Ganthofer, no mate, it may show the SYMBOL of a pause button, but it BEHAVES like a stop button. Try it. Just using the iPad or iPhone on its own, press a loop, click your fingers/make some noise, then press (to use your words) 'Pause'. What happens? It goes back to 12 o'clock.

That's stopping, not pausing. Pausing would be stopping wherever it is when you press it and continuing on from there if you click it again.

And that's what I'm so pissed off about! (It's taken me two years and I've finally spat the dummy, so cut me some slack) Look, it's the big orange button right there on the screen - 'GO' and 'STOP' - the fundamental, top level controller - right there on the screen in front of me that does EXACTLY what ---> I <---want to do, but WITHOUT HAVING TO USE MY FINGER!

Or my nose...

Yet there's STILL no MIDI binding that emulates it. Thoroughly gobsmacked as to why-bloody-not!

Luckily I'm in a band now and my solo stuff is on indefinite hold, as I would've dumped Loopy by this time and bought a Boomerang. But I live in hope.

@Michael is obviously an 'ambient looper' guy at heart as he's adding more and more new weirder and more obscure 'ambient' user requested MIDI bindings with every release. Yet THIS particular traditionalist verse/bridge/chorus/verse tragic (me) has been waiting for 2 years for what I believe SHOULD have been the very first MIDI binding on the bloody list...

I don't understand why it's so damn hard to implement when the friggin' action I'm looking for is already built in to the software...

• @muzza - sorry, didn't mean to push your button. Yes, it does act like a Stop button ( even though the symbol is for Pause), but I just go with the flow.

But that's what I'm saying, there is a binding that does exactly what the BUTTON on the UI does and it's called "Toggle session pause and restart".

• @Ganthofer said:
    muzza - sorry, didn't mean to push your button.

YOU, my friend, are a funny man. :-0

• Yep, the "Toggle session pause and restart" would be the answer to your problem. I use only this one. A few years ago i thought the same about Michael, but ever since he is making some real nice improvements for us guitar loopers.

• Many of the bindings are poorly named and their function is poorly described in the wiki. It makes designing a workflow extremely difficult.

• after studying loopy-wiki, examining what the forum poeple wrote , watching youtube-videos..., i found out by myself what i was looking for. at this time there is no other way for becoming familiar with this buisiness.
    some day there will be a manual. but then we have to read it carefully anyway.
    now i take this forum for a manual. thank you guys...

• edited March 2015

I am also trying to do the same as original thread topic "Can anyone please walk me through how to create an intro, verse, chores, outro etc" But have look at 100s of Ipad apps and spent $50 on junk that just are not geared for live playing. Now looking at purchasing BeatBuddy stand alone drum system that is designed for solo live playing. Does it all just a lots dollars more. Loopy would maybe do the function if you could move between loops while playing with the next loop not starting till called for and after the previous one completes. But this functions does not seem to be a option. I will be kind and say most apps I have seen are just $3 toys. Maybe some buddy can prove me wrong.

• @muzza said:
    @Ganthofer, no mate, it may show the SYMBOL of a pause button, but it BEHAVES like a stop button. Try it. Just using the iPad or iPhone on its own, press a loop, click your fingers/make some noise, then press (to use your words) 'Pause'. What happens? It goes back to 12 o'clock.

That's stopping, not pausing. Pausing would be stopping wherever it is when you press it and continuing on from there if you click it again.

And that's what I'm so pissed off about! (It's taken me two years and I've finally spat the dummy, so cut me some slack) Look, it's the big orange button right there on the screen - 'GO' and 'STOP' - the fundamental, top level controller - right there on the screen in front of me that does EXACTLY what ---> I <---want to do, but WITHOUT HAVING TO USE MY FINGER!

Yet there's STILL no MIDI binding that emulates it. Thoroughly gobsmacked as to why-bloody-not!

Luckily I'm in a band now and my solo stuff is on indefinite hold, as I would've dumped Loopy by this time and bought a Boomerang. But I live in hope.

@Michael is obviously an 'ambient looper' guy at heart as he's adding more and more new weirder and more obscure 'ambient' user requested MIDI bindings with every release. Yet THIS particular traditionalist verse/bridge/chorus/verse tragic (me) has been waiting for 2 years for what I believe SHOULD have been the very first MIDI binding on the bloody list...

I don't understand why it's so damn hard to implement when the friggin' action I'm looking for is already built in to the software...

Funny, but here I am after several years of trying to get Loopy HD to replace my Boomerang III. I thought I'd give it another try and see what has been added. For sure, lots more MIDI bindings, but I am unable to do what I want. I might be satisfied with "close enough" if I can get there.

In live performance with the Boomerang, you can set it up so that Loop 1 is your Master loop. All other loops sync to it. The performer sets the "clock" or cycle time by starting and then "closing" the loop.

Then, while the Master loop is playing, you can press another button to start recording a Slave loop; recording of that loop will begin at the start of the next Master loop cycle. Slave is always synced to the Master.

If you press a button to play a Slave loop, the Slave loop will start recording at the start of the next Master loop beginning. If the Master loop is not playing and you press a button to play it, it will start playing from the beginning.

So, I'm trying to set up 5 MIDI controller buttons:
    1) Toggle recording or overdubbing of Loop 1 (Master). (This works perfectly)
    2) Toggle stop/play Master (stops when you press, plays from start of loop next press)
    3) Toggle recording or overdubbing of Loop 2 (Slave) (This also works nicely)
    4) Toggle stop/play Slave (stops when you press, plays synced with Master next press)
    5) Play Master and Slave (synced) from start of Master loop

So far I haven't found the magic combo. The shortfall seems to be for buttons 2 and 4. Or, as Muzza has repeatedly stated, the lack of basic Stop, Pause, and/or Play bindings.

Any suggestions for what to try? Or suggestions to get me as close as possible?

• @soundog said:
    2) Toggle stop/play Master (stops when you press, plays from start of loop next press)

Isn't that one just "Toggle session pause and restart" ?

4) Toggle stop/play Slave (stops when you press, plays synced with Master next press)

I think that's just "Toggle mute"

Or, as Muzza has repeatedly stated, the lack of basic Stop, Pause, and/or Play bindings.

I missed that comment the first time around, hence my lack of response.. I'm not quite clear on what's missing, here. There's "Toggle session pause" and "Toggle session pause and restart" actions, as well as mute/unmuting tracks (which can be configured to count-in/out or not, and either come in synced with the master loop, or independently). What's missing?

• @soundog

-#2 as @Michael mentions, this can be acheived using the "Toggle session pause and restart", with the clarification, that ALL playing tracks will stop IMMEDIATELY upon sending the command (actually the Clock is stopped/paused so everything stops/pauses). This is what was discussed further up and else where here on the forum. It does exactly what the Play (triangle) and Stop/Pause (II) button on the UI does. The clock is stopped and reset to home (12:00) if it is running. If the clock is Stopped already, then it starts the clock from home (12:00). This is only relevant if you Pause using the "Toggle session pause" binding which stops the Clock where it is and doesn't set it to home (12:00). The status of the tracks are unchanged, e.g. muted (dim) tracks stay muted and unMuted (bright) tracks stay unMuted.

-#4 as @Michael mentions could be acheived using "Toggle mute Track 2" (or what ever track) assuming that you have "Synchronize tracks" ON in Track Management. Depending on your work flow, you may need to have Count-in/out turned on. e.g. Main is playing and you want to mute track2 and then bring it back in at the top on the next press. If Count-in/out is not ON, then the Toggle mute happens immediately (insync), not at the Home (12:00) position.

Also, with the use of another Midi App (Midi Designer- super controls, MidiFlow - i think, MidiBridge) or perhaps your Midi controller, you can send multiple commands for more complex tasks. e.g. Send "toggle session pause and reset" and then "Toggle mute Track(s) #" to change the status of Muted and unMuted tracks.

It really comes down to Your Exact Workflow. Loopy does not emulate any specific hardware looper that I know of. If you want a drop in replacement for your current HW looper, it's probably not the answer. You can however, acheive most, if not all of the same functionality with some creative use of the bindings (you may need more than 1 ). You may also have to tweak your workflow some to be able to use loopy in your setup.

• ...And, for the record, Loopy Masterpiece is going to have much more sophisticated control; I also plan to have presets that mimic existing hardware.

• Thanks for all the info, guys. I really don't need to replicate my hardware looper's button functions, I just need to come up with bindings that work for my performance needs. The info you have given me is very helpful, and I will spend more time working on Loopy this week. I'm very close already, so expect to get it worked out.

One other thing ... could you explain the workings/purpose of the On, Off, and Hold selections for the bindings? (I don't have Loopy in front of me). My MIDI CC buttons can be set up to just send a CC ("on") or toggle between two values. The buttons also have LEDs that reflect the toggle state. Ideally, I would like to be able to toggle a button on (127 value, LED lit) that would provide feedback that Loopy is recording, and then toggle the button off (1 value, LED off) that would provide feedback that Loopy is playing/not recording. Is that possible. (I have Loopy running in background...so can't watch the loops while performing.)

Looking very much towards Loopy Masterpiece, Michael!!

• @soundog said:
    could you explain the workings/purpose of the On, Off, and Hold selections for the bindings? (I don't have Loopy in front of me).

Sure: on responds to a CC on (or note on); off responds to a CC off (or note off); hold responds to a CC on, followed by a short wait, so that you can hold the trigger down (assuming it sends on on press, and off on release) to perform a different action.

My MIDI CC buttons can be set up to just send a CC ("on") or toggle between two values. The buttons also have LEDs that reflect the toggle state. Ideally, I would like to be able to toggle a button on (127 value, LED lit) that would provide feedback that Loopy is recording, and then toggle the button off (1 value, LED off) that would provide feedback that Loopy is playing/not recording. Is that possible. (I have Loopy running in background...so can't watch the loops while performing.)

Kinda; Loopy doesn't yet send MIDI info back out to the pedal so it can update its state, so it's not always going to be correct. You can indeed set Loopy to play on CC on, and mute on CC off, for instance, but if you toggle on while track is playing, the light on the pedal can get itself into the opposite state. So, not perfect; Masterpiece will be better at this.

Looking very much towards Loopy Masterpiece, Michael!!

You and me both! =)