Loopy: Masterpiece Edition - the journey begins

Comments

• @joshx1573 said:

@Michael said:
    Ow! That sucks!

Yeah, Pro's gonna have more routing options - but can you tell me exactly what your setup is, just to check?

Thanks heaps, by the way =)

Sure, here's my rig, I'm going by memory here so I will have to double check and make sure this is all right, my gear is scattered around at the moment:

iconnectaudio 4+ has 4 inputs, 1 lead mic w/ 48v (no looping on this one, it goes straight into AUM), 1 looping mic that goes into audiobus(version 2), 1 guitar that goes into audiobus, and 1 yamaha mx61 keyboard into audiobus.

In the effects slot of the loop mic, I run DFX for vocal reverb
    In the effects slot of the guitar, I run BIAS FX for all guitar processing and various effects (delay, compression, etc)

Hello @joshx1573,

I think I have a pretty similar experience, so what follows might interest you:

1) I used DFX before, and it seemed very ressource consuming compared to other apps, and yeah, my setup tend to crash, like yours.
    AFAIC, I switched to Turnado and Tonestack. And I observed a big gain of performance.

Try those apps, Tonestack GO is free.

Whereas with a setup where I'm looping with pedals, if the pedal crashes(which does happen, I'm looking at you electro harmonix!) then I can still try to salvage the song acoustically for the rest of the time.

2) In Loopy, why don't you disable the monitoring in Loopy, and route your live playing within AUM ?
    That way, if indeed you loose Loopy, you still can hear your direct signal.
    (plus, you can eq, treat the signals separately)

fyi, my setup is the following:
    *intrument strereo -> 2 inputs of a iconnectaudio 4+ -> AUM -> Tonestack + Turnado-> Audiobus -> Loopy
    |_
    -> iconnectaudio 4+ -> PA + IEM
    *Voice strereo -> 2 inputs of a iconnectaudio 4+-> AUM -> Vocalive +Tonestack GO-> Audiobus -> Loopy
    |_
    Then:
    *Loopy (each track) -> Turnado -> -> iconnectaudio 4+ -> PA + IEM

And I have the Ipad Pro 9.7, So I should have less computing than you, and It's stable, now.

• Here's my current updated loopy rig...the foot controller controls loopy HD...so easy...need Pro or Masterpiece though...someday!

• 4 years on and still no Masterpiece. Will it ever see the
    Ight of day ? Loopy is the best app for getting ideas working fast. It’s absolutley brilliant and worth an upgrade at least. The new colour sceme looks great so why not just change the asthetics for now ?

• Tell me about it! Frustrating for me too. Still working on it, just got lots of other responsibilities.

• @nerve said:

Here's my current updated loopy rig...the foot controller controls loopy HD...so easy...need Pro or Masterpiece though...someday!

would love to know how you map your foot controller @nerve. Is that the actition 12? I´ve got the "8". It´s brilliant!

@Michael - I loved the frequent updates on progress. Please tell us a little bit more:)

• Hi @napoo yes! Actition-12 (original version...)

m-record-next / m-play-next / reset / reverse
    solo / mult / divide / mute
    back / record / undo / forward

• i still check this thread at least once a month with the wild hope that something will happen.

• Something will; just need a bit more time is all. I know it's taking forever!

• I also check regularly. I'm sure everyone will come back massively when Loopy 3/Masterpiece comes out =) Can't wait!

• Same here, i come almost every day for the last 4 years to see if something new is announed. (And, i'm a father for 1 year now, and i'm way more understanding on the small delay in Loopy Pro :) )

• @naboo said:
    And, i'm a father for 1 year now, and i'm way more understanding on the small delay in Loopy Pro :)

:D

• Hey @Michael any ETA on Loopy Pro yet?
    I have bad dreams about Ableton hacking you and shutting the whole thing down.
    Thanks as ever for the awesome app.
    Tristan

• Not just yet, I'm afraid, @newillusions - hard at work on Audiobus 3 MIDI learn features, but once that's done in a few weeks, I'm back to finishing Loopy Pro. Will know more then.

• Thanks @Michael, I should correct my original comment to "awesome *apps" plural... Great to hear you'll be working on finishing Loopy Pro again soon though! Will be a great day when it is here.

• edited December 2018

@ttk said:

@joshx1573 said:

@Michael said:
    Ow! That sucks!

Yeah, Pro's gonna have more routing options - but can you tell me exactly what your setup is, just to check?

Thanks heaps, by the way =)

Sure, here's my rig, I'm going by memory here so I will have to double check and make sure this is all right, my gear is scattered around at the moment:

iconnectaudio 4+ has 4 inputs, 1 lead mic w/ 48v (no looping on this one, it goes straight into AUM), 1 looping mic that goes into audiobus(version 2), 1 guitar that goes into audiobus, and 1 yamaha mx61 keyboard into audiobus.

In the effects slot of the loop mic, I run DFX for vocal reverb
    In the effects slot of the guitar, I run BIAS FX for all guitar processing and various effects (delay, compression, etc)

Hello @joshx1573,

I think I have a pretty similar experience, so what follows might interest you:

1) I used DFX before, and it seemed very ressource consuming compared to other apps, and yeah, my setup tend to crash, like yours.
    AFAIC, I switched to Turnado and Tonestack. And I observed a big gain of performance.

Try those apps, Tonestack GO is free.

Whereas with a setup where I'm looping with pedals, if the pedal crashes(which does happen, I'm looking at you electro harmonix!) then I can still try to salvage the song acoustically for the rest of the time.

2) In Loopy, why don't you disable the monitoring in Loopy, and route your live playing within AUM ?
    That way, if indeed you loose Loopy, you still can hear your direct signal.
    (plus, you can eq, treat the signals separately)

fyi, my setup is the following:
    *intrument strereo -> 2 inputs of a iconnectaudio 4+ -> AUM -> Tonestack + Turnado-> Audiobus -> Loopy
    |_
    *Voice strereo -> 2 inputs of a iconnectaudio 4+-> AUM -> Vocalive +Tonestack GO-> Audiobus -> Loopy
    |_
    Then:
    *Loopy (each track) -> Turnado -> -> iconnectaudio 4+ -> PA + IEM

And I have the Ipad Pro 9.7, So I should have less computing than you, and It's stable, now.

I returned to gigging with hardware loopers(the EH22500), but it freezes as well, ruining a song mid performance. Not to mention the Electro Harmonix forums are absolutely flooded with users requesting a firmware update allowing for push button erasing on the stop switch. Rather than even respond to their pleas EH just released a more expensive pedal, so I'm not inclined to invest in them anymore. :(

I dearly miss the power/versatility of Loopy and the ipad rig, I am going to take your advice and try tonestack, thanks for help!

• Can't wait can't wait :) hope it comes out before next Christmas. What a gift that would be

• Any updates on Loopy Pro?

• Not yet, I'm afraid! Been a tad sidetracked by parenthood and Audiobus, in that order =)

• 5 years on and from the announcement and still no release. Is parenthood really that debilitating ? Great filmmakers, musicians, artists, engineers, scientists have managed prolific careers while maintaining families 🤔

• @Marb67 said:
    5 years on and from the announcement and still no release. Is parenthood really that debilitating ? Great filmmakers, musicians, artists, engineers, scientists have managed prolific careers while maintaining families 🤔

When you let the mother raise your child on her own like everyone used to do... it was quite pretty easy to pursue a career. I think nowadays fathers are way more involved in parenthood (and i think it's for the best).

Of course i am too eager to hear from Loopy pro dev (as i come on this website since 5 years tracking every news on loopy pro), but life is what it is :).

• How about an ETA? Any guess on when it might be completed?

• Thanks, @naboo =)

I've long since stopped trying to guess at that, I'm afraid, @amtabuchi - but I'm starting to get a bit more traction on it lately. I'm hoping to have something to release in the next 12 months, maybe sooner. We'll see, though. Sorry I can't be more specific.

• Ive been drooling over ZenAud.io ALK lately with its sequenced looping approach. It basically eliminates the need for any pedals or tap dancing during performance (unless you want to). I hope Loopy MP will have something like that because ALK doesn't run on iOS (yet).

• edited August 8

@Calyx said:
    Ive been drooling over ZenAud.io ALK lately with its sequenced looping approach. It basically eliminates the need for any pedals or tap dancing during performance (unless you want to). I hope Loopy MP will have something like that because ALK doesn't run on iOS (yet).

Oh yeah, Loopy Pro's got that in it - it's using the same sequencer stuff as in Samplebot (with some enhancements, like actually having it trigger record on blank tracks), so you can record a set, and then have it play back all the moves you made, or manually sequence them in.

• @Michael said:

@Calyx said:
    Ive been drooling over ZenAud.io ALK lately with its sequenced looping approach. It basically eliminates the need for any pedals or tap dancing during performance (unless you want to). I hope Loopy MP will have something like that because ALK doesn't run on iOS (yet).

Oh yeah, Loopy Pro's got that in it - it's using the same sequencer stuff as in Samplebot (with some enhancements, like actually having it trigger record on blank tracks), so you can record a set, and then have it play back all the moves you made, or manually sequence them in.

Ooh. You shameless tease. 😉

• Disguising isn't it? 😁

• @Michael said:

@Calyx said:

oo the endless possibilities! :o
    I don't think there is a single thing right now I'm looking forward to more than this. (maybe humans landing on Mars haha)

• @NomadApe said:

@Michael said:

@Calyx said:

oo the endless possibilities! :o
    I don't think there is a single thing right now I'm looking forward to more than this. (maybe humans landing on Mars haha)

Hope I don't let you down 😊

• Are you going to make Loopy Pro available through Test Flight?
    I would happily be a beta tester and give feedback =)