Anyone using the FCB1010's expression pedals with Loopy?

edited June 2012 in Equipment
Hi!

I just bought Behringer's FCB1010 to use it with loopy. For the moment it works fine with straightforward commands such as "toggle record" and the like.

However, I would like to be able to adjust volume and/or PAN with the FCB's expression pedals, but when I try to set it up, nothing happens in Loopy when I try to action the pedals on the FCB...

Did anyone managed to get this to work?

Thanks everyone!

Gwenn

Comments

• Hi again,

Well, for some reason, I got this to work. I'm not sure if it makes any sense, but I had a look at the MIDI controllers' number list:

0 "Bank Select (coarse)"
    1 "Modulation Wheel (coarse)"
    2 "Breath controller (coarse)"
    4 "Foot Pedal (coarse)" etc.. until 127

And what I tried to do while programming my presets on the FCB is give my expression pedal the number of a MIDI function which is not working in a ON/OFF way but rather in a progressive way, like number 1 "modulation wheel".

The thing however is that it's not very precise (I'm using my FCB over wifi, this is maybe why) so I don't know how I should calibrate my pedals... should they be set on 0-127 or something else?

See you out there...

Gwenn
  • 0-127 is the standard range for MIDI (or 1-128) so that shouldn't be a problem.

I don't have experience with the FCB1010 but you could try using an app like MIDI Monitor to see exactly what values it's putting out. This way you could make sure it's not a problem with Loopy :) good luck!
  • HI,
    the original firmware of FCB1010 have more bug.
    One of this are the expression pedals functionality.

Take a look for "FCB1010 OnE Firmware" to resolve.
    It's a hardware upgrade (You must change the EPROM inside the FCB1010) but it's very easy work.

Bye, Thore.
  • I think Thore means UNO firmware upgrade. I'm not sure its necessary, at least in the beginning until you first learn to use the FCb1010 and then how you want to use the Fcb , so at least you know whether there is a bug or user error, as the fcb is quite tricky to learn. There is a Yahoo group where a lot of info can be found , and a few software editors that make editing easier .

The main thing to realise is that every 1-10 footswitch is a preset in itself, which includes the settings for the two expression pedals, so depending on how its programmed , pressing another footswitch can change the midi cc numbers of your pedals. You can use this to your advantage to control many different midi ccs with the pedals, but it can cause confusion until you realise whats happening.

The Uno firmware was originally to use the fcb more like a standard guitar pedal, so that the top row of switches turn on/off different fx within a multifx patch.
    The Fcb can be programmed to behave like this with the standard firmware, treating a bank of ten presets as a single "board" , and using the toggle function of the switches , but without the red light indicating whether each switch is on or off that the Uno firmware adds.

Hope this info helps.
  • @wally (or anyone else who knows)

Can you possibly explain how you managed to achieve the 'board' setup?
  • It's a question of understanding the three levels of operation, as the board functions differently depending on what level you are in.

At the micro level (editing within a preset ) each switch becomes a programmable parameter .
    In normal operating mode (up a level , zooming out so to speak) each switch is an individual preset , containing the ten parameters programmed across the board in edit mode).
    There are ten presets per bank , but each one is independent.

Ok , so for guitar pedal mode ,we want to zoom up another level , and think of all ten presets within a bank as the ten switch layout of a pedal board. So the "board" is a construct of how the ten presets are programmed to behave together.

basically we program all ten presets the same, except for the specific parameter we want to change at a specific location on the board. so for each of the top row of switches to turn on/off
    Distortion,chorus,delay,reverb,eq sections of a multifx unit , copy the same basic preset which assigns the footpedals to do whatever you want ( across the board) and whatever you want the botton row to do (program change up/down maybe?) (across the board ) , and then modify (into edit mode) each of the top switches so that it toggles on/off the multifx parameter you want on that switch .

Look into the manual for toggling. Each preset has two toggle switches (you only want to use one)
    Where two values are toggled each time the preset is selected , so choose your cc parameter for e.g delay on/off then give hi/lo values of 127/0 .

Hope this explains.it's conceptual more than anything , you have to program each preset within the bank to only change the one parameter you want on each switch, whilst replicating the overall settings so hitting a different switch to turn one thing on/off doesnt change the other settings .
  • edited July 2012
    Thanks for that @Wally, really helpful.

What you managed to do there was convince me to buy the Roland FC-200 instead (lol), as it has a toggle-able Change Control mode which effectively does the above. I figured without needing to get technical this would be the most gig-safe option, as the idea of fumbling on a midi pedal in the dark just doesn't quite float my boat.

However - I'm sure the above will come in useful for the 1010 prospective owners. I can see that I'm taking a hit on potential functionality with the Roland, however it looks to be slightly easier to operate and, if anything, a bit smaller (though not much).
  • Maybe I should have explained that you only do this ONCE to set it up, and may never need to change it again if you keep the same multifx unit...
    You certainly wouldnt be programming on a gig , just using it how you PRE programmed.
    And remembering there are ten banks, you could have ten different " boards " set up to switch between.

• @Wally,

Thanks, I assumed the setup would be a one-time thing, however having read a few places it looks like the general programming interface is pretty difficult to make changes to on the fly, so have opted for the Roland. But thanks!