MIDI signals...?

edited March 2014 in General

I'm trying to make my own custom MIDI foot controller using a MIDI CPU board (available from Highly Liquid's website)

My advisor at highly liquid is asking me what type of messages my foot controller will be sending - either CC or PC (or something else maybe?) I THINK they're CC???

A bit of background, I'm hoping this foot controller will control Loopy and also control effects in JamUp or Amplitube, start and stop backing tracks (in an app that I haven't even discovered yet) and control the volume with an expression pedal.

Would ALL of these signals be CC's? Even the expression pedal?

This is all gobbledegook to me so far...

Comments

• CC is a variable idea - Continuous Controller - Think Volume or Wah-wah pedal - Something that you are always [continuously] tracking. Expression pedals "always" send CC commands.

PC is a patch change - a one-time message. So most of my Loopy foot controls are one-hit actions and are PC, except for the track volumes, which I tie to CC since those range from 0 to 127.

Hope it helps.

• +1 on Boberto's post.

For Jam Up PCs will change the banks, but if you want to switch individual effects on and off it needs CCs.

• Wow. I wait a nearly week for a response on Highly Liquids forum, but get one within 24hours here.

I love this forum. Thanks guys.

So, to make sure I've got this, PC for the 10 buttons controlling loopy and JamUp, PC for the bank up/down and CC for the expression pedal?

• @muzza - sounds like it should work. Just a little added info. As mentioned by @boberto, PC and CC can be used to control loopy, but Note on/off can also be used. Also CC's are not just for expression pedals, but where a Value needs to be sent along with the midi command ( e.g. with loopy, pan and volume can be set to specific values rather that using an expression pedal).

• No worries :) I like all the DIY going on around here

• Hello,

I'm trying to help muzza to build his MIDI CPU foot controller at Highly Liquid.

Since there does not appear to be a manual, I need questions answered from the users/experts of this app.

I do not have a iphone to even try Loopy out, so I'm flying blind here.

Plan is for 10 switches to Toggle CC's ON/OFF. ON will be a value of 127 and Off is 0.

I think he has 6 switches to toggle a loop on/off and the other 4 to turn FX ON/OFF with an LED indicator above those switches.

Is it better to have the first 6 be PC's? Is that all Loopy really needs to toggle a loop ON/Off?

Thanks.

• A tip on the MIDI cpu firmware. You can have up to four "layers" of code, all running off the same switches or pots. So a single footswitch could send 4 different commands on four different MIDI channels. With this, you can control up to 4 different MIDI devices. Or, a single switch could send a PC with a CC. The layer approach also lets you "store" the state of switches and controllers so they are always known to the cpu.

The MIDI cpu is really, really, really, really,really, really,really, really,really, really,really, really,really, really,really, really,really, really, flexible. And the forum is extremely helpful, with tons of project and code ideas and tips.

• edited April 2014

hmm.. maybe I need to repost my questions.
    seems the last post has no answers for me or any relevance to them either.

--

I am looking for answers about the types of MIDI msg's that are appropriate to send to Loopy.

--

--

Hello,

I'm trying to help muzza to build his MIDI CPU foot controller at Highly Liquid.

Since there does not appear to be a manual, I need questions answered from the users/experts of this app.

I do not have a iphone to even try Loopy out, so I'm flying blind here.

Plan is for 10 switches to Toggle CC's ON/OFF. ON will be a value of 127 and Off is 0.

I think he has 6 switches to toggle a loop on/off and the other 4 to turn FX ON/OFF with an LED indicator above those switches.

Is it better to have the first 6 be PC's? Is that all Loopy really needs to toggle a loop ON/Off?

Thanks.

• Loopy can respond to PC commands as well as CC. Picking which is, I suppose, up to you.

• edited April 2014

thanks boberto.

So when it responds to a PC msg, will it latch a loop on/off each time you send that PC?

So if I send PC #15 once, it begins the loop, press PC #15 again, it stops the loop, press PC #15 again and it starts the loop again..?
    is this how it responds?

is the same for the FX? I dont even know if the Loopy app has FX built into it, does it?
    Is it best to send a PC for it as well?

I can do CC on/off msgs. Press once and it sends CC value 0, press again and it sends CC value 127.. then press again and it will send value 0... again and again.. toggling back and forth.
    Is there even any point to doing CC's with these values to control the Loopy app?

I also assume the Loopy will learn the MIDI msg you send it, right? So either loops or FX will learn to trigger from PCs?

• @Synthetech - maybe take a look here http://wiki.loopyapp.com at the midi bindings section. Most of them are toggles , like Toggle Mute. If the track is playing it Mutes it, if it's Muted, it unMutes it. (and if it's a blank track, it will start record).The CC's might be useful for the Volume and Pan bindings (if he uses them) as they take the added value as the setting, so tracks could be Left, Right, max Vol, etc. rather than using an expression pedal.

• Stick with CCs. More flexible, cause you can use them as toggles, or single state. MIDI CPU will remember the toggle status for you if needed.

PCs are just single state. Less flexible. Further, Macs are better than PCs. ;-)

• Just to fill you guys in on who Synthetech is... He is one if the gurus over at the Highly Liquid MIDI CPU forum, so he knows MIDI CPU inside out.

I'm trying to make a 10 button controller with 2 other buttons for bank up/down for four banks. The first 6 buttons will be dedicated to Loopy (for now) and the next 4 will be for JamUp / Amplitube effects. The first 6 buttons won't have LEDs and the next four will have LEDs that toggle on and off independently of other buttons. Eg press button 8 on bank 2 for reverb and the LED comes on - reverb will be on and stays on until button 8 on bank two is pressed again.

@Synthetech has a been an enormous help to me over at highly liquid. I think I'm almost ready to put this thing together.

• Cool, Muzza. When I built a MIDI CPU controller, I got tremendous help from folks on their forum. Incredibly flexible device for a home-build unit for under $50 (plus cost of switches, LEDs, etc). Let us know how it turns out!

• Hellooooo everybody. Long time, no write.

I can't believe I bought the MIDI CPU four years ago. No, I didn't make the foot switch in the end. I stopped doing my acoustic solo stuff and now back to my passion of playing bass in a 4 piece rock band.

The MIDI CPU has been sitting in a drawer in my studio for 4 years, and I now have a new use for it - controlling mutes and FX on my digital mixer (Midas MR18)

I know that this is not at all loopy related, but as the Highly Liquid forum is now gone, I'm reaching out here for anybody who is knowledgeable about MIDI CPU that is willing to help me put this thing together. Probably communicate outside the forum as there would be no value following this thread because MIDI CPU is no longer available.

Cheers in advance