Hi! If your question relates to Loopy Pro, you may find a faster answer at one of the other Loopy Pro communities (https://loopypro.com/communities) – this forum has only a small number of active users.

Bluetooth pedal

edited March 2012 in Equipment
I am new to the looping thing, but I see all these foot pedals available for controlling loopy via midi. I have a Bluetooth foot pedal for turning pages in a music score app. Any chance this could be used to control loopy? My pedal is the pageflip cicada. There may be a reason this would not be ideal, but it seems to me that it would be helpful.

Comments

• Hello - I'm afraid a bluetooth pedal will require a custom implementation to make it work, so it's not going to be compatible, unfortunately. If I get enough demand to implement support for such a beast, I'd be happy to consider it, though.
  • No problem. If you do decide to look into it further, my Bluetooth pedal is basically a keyboard with only a few keys. I think most others work on this principle as well. So you wouldn't necessarily need support for Bluetooth specifically, but just for binding keyboard presses to controllable events. Still, there might be technical hurdles that I don't know about. In any case, loopy is amazing, and anything added is gravy at this point.
  • Thanks =) I'll see what I can do.
  • Hi Michael, I would also love to connect to Loopy via bluetooth pedals. I have the AirTurn in mind, which is available as a 2- and 4-pedal controller. The reason I am not using midi foot pedals is that all small ones (2-4 pedals) have been discontinued and the big ones like the FCB1010 are way too big to be useful for me. For example, when I play piano, I have neither the space for such pedal board nor do I have a good view on them to see which one I need to hit. With a 2-pedal board, this would be much easier. Also, I frequently switch between piano and guitar and with a bluetooth pedal, I could simply pick it up and place it elsewhere. I could even buy two of them and hook them both up to the iPad. Another reason for using the AirTurn for Loopy is that I play on very small stages, sometimes just 2-3 meters in front of the audience, and it is very important that my foot pedals don't make distracting sounds.

Here's a link for applying as a supported developer, to get access to he developer kit: http://airturn.com/ipad/ipad-airturn-developer-kit-application

If there's anything else I can do to help you with supporting such pedals, please tell me.
  • it would be lovely to have a bluetooth binding capability (for iturn, or just for the apple bluetooth keyboard). The idea of making music with a idevice instead of a computer is because it's ten times smaller and easier to use.

an small bluetooth pedal would go in that direction: much smaller than a midi footstep, no cables around! ...taking advantage of all possibilities of our idevices.
  • Thanks heaps for the feedback, guys - I think I'll almost definitely build in support for these.
  • I would also love to use my pageflip with Loopy.. without it as a singer-guitarist it's really quite difficult to use.
  • Add me to the list for the bluetooth footswitch extension...the less cords we have to deal with, the better.

LOVE Loopy...Apple should be hiring you as a consultant on designing beautiful human graphic interfaces. Not only is it intuitive, but it's absolutely beautiful as well.

Cheers,
    Cameron
  • Thanks so much, @Cambo1! =)
  • AirTurn compatibility for punch in/punch out would be huge! Just started playing w the app..it's fabulous and elegant. Can't wait to get back to it.
  • Thanks heaps, @mvturner18!

I've just contacted the AirTurn guys - mind you, I'm still not 100% sure it'll be something I'm willing to do. AirTurn provide an SDK to make integration easy, but guess what: They *charge developers* for it. An absolutely insane practice - they need to be giving it away for free so more people add support for it. I don't know what they're thinking.
    But we'll see.
  • Hey, just wanted to add my support for Bluetooth and say that AirTurn isn't the only pedal out there. Would Love to use loopy with my page flip cicada! Thanks for the great app!
  • Count me in! I have a Cicada also.
  • They charge for using the sdk?? Talk about a broken business model. If I'd bought one of their products without knowing that up front, I'd be pissed.
  • I think the Cicada simulate some key (left-right, up-down, etc.) of a standard bluetooth keyboard... that shouldn't be too difficult to implement in Loopy ;-)
  • Very good! :-)

• I am so happy to realize this feature is included in Loopy. I'm already dreaming up ideas of how I'm going to hack my bluetooth keyboard into a foot pedal ;)