Scarlett 2i2 or iTrack Solo? USB interface question.

edited September 2013 in Equipment

Hey everyone, I'm new to the world of iOS interfaces and am excited to start experimenting with loopy. I was wondering what people's opinions are for an audio interface. I was looking at the 2i2 for a while and then came across iTrack Solo. They are pretty much the same price and therefore I am leaning towards the 2i2 due to the flexibility of it's inputs. People who use the 2i2, are you happy with it's performance through an iPad? I assume you just plug it into a hub and the hub via a CCK? Also, do you then just plug your midi footswitch through the hub as well? Or is there another audio interface people recommend? I'm a fan of focusrite preamps so I'm leaning towards some of their products.

Thanks in advance!

• Terry

Comments

• Focusrite's 2i2 sounds really nice with my acoustic guitar into Loopy. The scenario you describe should work, but keep in mind that your USB hub will need to be powered, with a wall plug. Others on the forum here have successfully run an audio interface and MIDI pedal thru a USB hub, so that should not be a problem.

Another factor: 2i2 (and any USB>CCK combo) will only work on iPads or devices with iOS 7.

• Thanks for the reply! Ya I assumed a powered hub would be required. Good to know about iOS 7. From what I have read a powered hub still won't be able to actually send power to the iPad though, correct? Seems like it should be able to.

Thanks again!

• edited September 2013

Coincidence that I was just discussing this over at audiobus. You don't need a wall plug to power a USB hub if you think out of the box a little bit. ;-)

http://forum.audiob.us/discussion/2104/seeking-powered-usb-hub-recommendatons#Item_6

And no way to power the iPad with a CCK in the chain. Apple limitation.

• Ahh yes. I actually have a Zaggsparq kicking around. Pretty sure that would power it as well. Just have to check the output as it's a little higher than some (for fast charging). That's a fantastic idea though! Any recommendations from Scarlett 2i2 to iTrack Solo? Or any better audio interfaces that people prefer?

Stupid Apple limitations...

• edited September 2013

Also to clarify, iOS 7 isn't needed on iPads ( only iPhones)

• Presonus makes a good 2 input device as well, from what I hear. Search this forum for it.

As for powering your USB hub, I just got this EasyAcc 10,000mAh battery. Works great.

http://www.amazon.com/EasyAcc-10000mAh-External-Battery-Capacity/dp/B00BJCHH36/

• Thanks for the suggestion!

• edited December 2013

Yay! Glad I came across this forum and this discussion. You guys have given me some good tips for some questions I was pondering about using the Scarlett 212 with ipad devices! THANX GUYS!

• Will it work with my iPhone 5s ? iOS 7.04?

• Hi guys. I have ipad 2 iOS 7.0.4 and scarlett 2i2 connected to powered usb hub, but I encounter issue that soundcard is "restart" itself time to time. It is very similar to "restart" during switching audio apps. Do you have idea what can I do with it? Thanx

• Just throwing Focusrite Novation a bone here... I own the iTrack Solo. When I bought it there was one thing I hated about it. The interface cord was about 5" long. Barely enough to reach my iPad. I called them on Tuesday night and here it is on Thursday afternoon a brand new 4' cord arrived free of charge. That's customer service! (And NO, I don't work for them) I'll be out back in the sunshine recording if ya need me... ;-)